well as a travel computer that will get quite a bit of use as a

photo editing machine. Looking for suggestions on laptops with

screens that are good enough for editing, and ones that will hold

calibration reasonably well. I work on a desktop Dell ultrasharp at

work for CAD work, and I am impressed with its resolution, not sure

how it holds up for calibration but the image sharpness is

impressive. I think Dell only sells this on their tank sized

laptops, does anyone else make a similar screen for a smaller sized

laptop, 14-15 inch? Any of Toshibas or HP screens up to the task?

My ideal machine would be a 14 inch screen with ultrasharp, UXGA, 80

gigs, centrino processor, 1 gig ram.

I have no idea if Mac OS X is an option for you, but my wife just bought a new Powerbook 15" and the screen is amazingly bright and sharp. I think it may even beat my Hitachi 19" at home. I'm impressed every time I look at the screen. As far as other options go, RAM and HD space are not a problem, in the range you asked for.

Unfortunately I only have windows software to load, so a Mac will not work. Does anyone know Adobes stance on loading a photoshop license on both home and laptop machines?

My first computer was a Mac, and I was always impressed with their hardware, and I really like the sounds of OSX, the killer for me is not wanting to drop cash on mac versions of all the software I own. Otherwise a powerbook would be on the top of my list.

Adobe's stance on running Photoshop on 2 machines is:

"Q: May I use the software on more than one computer at a time?

A: The activation process supports installation on two machines. Adobe's Product License Agreement allows a user to install the product on a primary and a secondary computer as long as the product is not used simultaneously on the two machines. While the activation process supports installing and activating Adobe software on two machines, the usage of the product on the secondary computer is restricted to the main user who licensed the software. Allowing others to use Adobe software on a secondary computer violates the Product License Agreement."

I have my copy of CS installed on my laptop and my desktop. No recommendations on a laptop with a screen good enough for photo editing though.

Sony Vaio laptop screens are reasonably well regarded for whatever that's worth. I have an R505 which is about two years old but it has a very sharp and bright XGA screen. Both older and newer Vaio's have fine screens.

I'll add that a Sony Vaio with the XBrite screen is just about perfect. I have the S series version with a 16:9 screen, which is a bit smaller top to bottom than a 14inch, but about the same side to side. I have 1 gig RAM with the 1.7 processor, which zips through PS7 even with 50MB files., all at 4 lbs with battery. I'm very pleased with it 9 months into owning it.