Yashicamat LM crank problem

Reading of Pauls' latest acquisition, reminded me I've been meaning

to ask for help with my Yashicamat LM. Seems there are several

others here who own them so maybe someone can help...

I got an LM late last year and have put one film through it with

good results - except that the crank jams and won't wind on between

exposures. It usually frees up with some jiggling but can take

several minutes to come right, & it's very frustrating! It winds

freely when there is no film inserted. A friend who has a Rollei

suggested perhaps I was loading the film incorrectly (??) - yet

there didn't appear to be any problems with the one film I've

exposed. I wondered if this is a common problem with TLR's?

Any recommendations or suggestions would be most welcome!

I have seen this in Yashicamats. The shutter release link is a "weak spot" in these cameras and contains a link to release the wind mechanism also. This requires opening the camera and performing a "repair" on the linkage. You can try depressing the shutter release button again rather hard, and see if it will wind. Sometimes this works, but only temporarily. Doing this will not endanger a second exposure on the film, since it takes a turn of the crank to wind the shutter. I believe your camera needs a slight adjustment to the linkage inside the front panel. That can be a simple repair for someone qualified.

Jack

I don't have a Yashicamat, but have a Rolleiflex apart on the bench right now (in mid-repair). The tear down was extensive, and there's about a million little tiny parts in there. I had to drill and tap threads to mount the arm that cocks the shutter, but now have an advance problem (I screwed up somewhere). I just ordered a CD for the Rollei so that I can get it back together and functional again.

If it's anything at all like the rollei, it will be a pretty complex repair. If you decide to attempt it, I'd use a digital camera and take lots of photos during disassembly. Otherwise, like myself, you will be looking for a repair manual!

Good luck!

Repairing the linkage on the Yashicamat is not difficult. The front panel must be removed to get to the shutter release links. First remove the front leather. Then four screws to remove the panel. Then can see the link, and adjust it. A little experience helps at this point. It's not "Rocket science, or anywhere like dismantling the whole thing (or that Rolleiflex). But it does take some dexterity. I have done this many times. Care must be taken to replace the front panel aligning the f-stop and shutter speed controls. If everything else works fine, a thorough CLA would be a bit much for this minor repair.

Good luck, Janice

Janice,

This happens to me on nearly every roll with my LM. It's VERY frustrating. I did finally find a way to loosen it up, but it's kind of like beating the dash of your car to get it started.

When it jams, I rack the focus all the way in and out while holding the shutter release. I have no explanation or rationale for this, but it seems to work. It sometimes takes a few cycles to free it up.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Jack, I think you've identified the problem - when the crank won't wind on after an exposure, jiggling the crank *and* pushing on the shutter release button frees it up eventually.

Since posting the question I've been trying out the camera again, using the paper backing from a 120 film. At first I was still having problems with the crank not winding on, but after running the 'film' through several times, it now seems to be working properly. I'll put some more 'real' film through this week and see what happens. If the crank keeps jamming I'll take it to a local (Dutch) guy who repairs old cameras - he fixed the shutter in my Agfa Billy a while ago. He appears to know what he's doing, has a good reputation, and a collection of his own. :-)

To clarify, I'm in New Zealand, not the USA, and would be very reluctant to send a camera out of the country for repair (expense etc).

Chris - I was writing this when your message was posted. Great to hear the problem is with the camera not something I'm doing wrong. I tried the focus thing too. I think Jack has the answer.