Another silly amatuer wedding photog question

laurie_m

Laurie - yeah, they plan on doing the disposable camera thing. This whole affair promises to be interesting... and you're right, Colorado in August is nothing like Florida! But I'm a displaced polar bear... Anything above 60 is awful, sunlight before noon is a crime, and humidity is Mother Nature being sadistic. But as to the wedding - I'm fortunate. While they'll obviously want some nice photographs, they're both very casual, very laid back, and whatever goes, goes. It does take some of the pressure off :) I think as long as no heads are cut off they'll be pretty happy. But thanks for leading - I'll be lurking in the background taking careful notes :)

You know, I recently have been very, very frustrated by mass-marketed frame offerings. From Target to Micheals Crafts to specialty catalog dealers like Graphik Dimensions, 5x7 and 8x10 are your surest bets. I was in Bed, Bath and Beyond last week, looking again for 8x12 frames - nada. I asked the store manager about it, along with her gaggle of employees.

"Listen," I said. Every 35mm camera out there shoots a 2:3 ratio image. Most, if not all, of the digital point and shoot cameras do, too. That gives you 4"x6" at regular processing...enlarge that, you get 8"x12". . . .NOT 8"x10". 8"x10" images are based upon the 4:5 ratio, medium-format cameras. I don't even know anyone that owns one. You?"

Her response?

"You know, you never have to use the whole picture. There's always a chair to crop or something. I scrapbook, and do it all the time when I'm preparing photos."

I stood there and took that in.

"Um, thanks," I said...and left.

Back at the office, I spoke with our 30-year veteran in-house photographer about it. He thinks it's just the mass marketing, the "standard" produced and widely accepted. The result? Mostly, custom framing for him.

Why do you folks think there aren't 8x12 frames in abundance?

Christopher -- I've wondered the same! However -- Hobby Lobby carries them! They don't have a huge selection, but they have the largest number of sizes within their selection of anywhere I've seen. They've typically got about 6-8 different sizes for most frames. They're not terribly expensive either, and they go on 40-50% off frequently.

Ah Chris....don't fret too much. You know you can buy frame sections. They come in pairs. You can buy them in inch increments. For instance, lets say you do a drastic crop of your chair and end up with a 5x20 print. You can buy a pair of 5 inch and a pair of 20 inch frame sections. You then just assemble them. All you need is a screwdriver. Michaels carries them. I just ordered frame sections for 30 fairly large prints online (Dick Blick Art Supplies).

Of course, you'll also need glass. I used to cut it myself but now, I just call my local glass shop and give them the dimensions. I figure it's better to let them get the glass shards in thier eyes instead of me.

You probably find that your herons and vultures don't always respond when you shout instructions at them (I presume you do talk to them) but 'gab' will help a lot with the wedding and may be more handy than any particular piece of gear. Muscle helps too, to elbow any unexpected video geek outa-tha-way. Good fun (I mean 'luck' of course).

Thanks Sandeha! My elbow will be primed and ready. Yes....I do talk to the birds, usually as they're flying out of the frame just before I release the shutter. I don't think I should use the same phrases at the wedding! From what I understand, I need the minister on my side.

Scott-glad I'm not alone. There's a ton of terrific information and many helpful people in this forum.