Future of 1.3 and 1.6 Crop Factors

koot_marais1

That doesn't matter. You'd still be able to take a vertical or horizontal 2:3 crop with any lens. This format would be for people who intend to crop after shooting the square 36 x 36. Yes, the corners would be dark with some lenses but with a 22 MP sensor, it would still be easy to crop an 8 MP picture.

Most digi P&Ss have abandoned the 3x2 ratio of 35 mm film in favour of 4x3. 4x3 is better IMO for the majority of shots, especially family snaps. But the weird thing is that these then get cropped back to 3x2 to suppport the 6x4 photoprinting machines still used by all the minilabs. I wonder if any of the mums and dads are noticing grandma's head is missing?

I think the thing keeping dslrs in 3x2 format may be the mirror designs. A large square mirror probably would not clear the back of the lens in Nikon or Canon bodies, thus requiring a redisign of the whole system lenses included from the ground up. This is what Olympus did.

"Well, a lot of people like to compose the picture in the viewfinder."

Of course, that's why I suggested the LCD masks for the viewfinder.

They might have done their research, but did you notice how many people actually think this would be a good idea for a top of the line pro model? And why people are actually having the same idea relatively independently?

>> I am sure that the manufacturers have done their market research pretty well and know what the customers want. <<

Absolutely. Canon, Nikon, et. al. know what's best for us. We should never ask them for anything or desire anything other than what they give us. My humble apologies for daring to suggest otherwise.

Don't think, my child, just swallow.

-Dave-