Choosing the right paper

When doing it digital you have a lot of options, like the old days when doing B/W's in your

own darkroom.

With a decent printer, you have the option to choose glossy, high glossy and pearl paper.

My question is when to use each type of paper? Landscape, portrait, reportage, concerts

etc. I need at least some guidelines instead of wasting good paper and ink. Pro's and

con's.

Twenty years ago i was using matte fibre paper for BW work, and then Galleri matte

papper. I didn't like it to glossy. But color copies is another story or....

Regards Casi

I have to agree with Bob. I choose my paper depending on my mood, what's available, and the contents of the picture. For example when I feel the need for deep shadows I will use an RC paper either as a lustre (pearl), semigloss, or straight high-gloss depending on which texture I think best suits the image. If the image uses mostly middle to light tones and doesn't need the extreme contrast I may go for a matte. If I think the image needs good contrast as well as best possible clarity of the overall image I will choose semigloss to combine the deep blacks with reduced reflection of light.

Thank for your remarks.

Yes I know it's personal taste how you what to commuicate, but I like som guidelines as

Steven wrote. "If the image uses mostly middle to light tones and doesn't need the

extreme contrast I may go for a matte."

I would like to limit to only a few papers, both for cost, but also to simplify so I can learn

in a better way. I 've got a new Canon Pixma 5000 printer and an iMac, and have so far

found color profiles for Ilford papers. Made a test print on both pearl and gloss, so I can

see the difference.

Regards Casi

Jeff, have you been using the Hawk Mountain papers? Based on Clayton Jones research, I've been using the Condor B/W to very good effect, and find it a good complement to the Epson Velvet Fine Art, which I like for a warm tone print. Have you tried any of the other Hawk Mountain papers and to what effect?