can you identify what this is?

Looks like classic case of dust on sensor. Typical routine is to periodically take photo of clear blue sky at f/16 and look for these type of dust particles before/after sensor cleaning. (assuming this is from a DSLR) -Greg-

"is this dust only likely to be seen at small aperture against light backgrounds as thats what it looks like from studying all my photos from today"

Yes... it is most likely seen at small apeture against light, uniform backgrounds. That said, I have also seen it show up before on coloured portrait backgrounds at apetures as large as f8.

This is not an uncommon problem with digital SLR sensors and you'll find cleaning is something you'll have to do periodically. Just make sure you don't try any short cuts... follow your manual's directions and use the appropriate cleaning equipment. The cleaning supplies can seem expensive, but nowhere near as expensive as having to replace your camera ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

Both small and open apertures. The spots get really defined at f22 or get larger and soft depending on the aperature. Bright single tone backgrounds do it. You can get rid of them via cleaning techniques, which, I imagine you've already discovered based on the date of your post. But they may never go away completely. **$ucks**

I wish canon and nikon would add sensor brushes built in like minolta. I imagine it would help.