Fisheye for 1.6x Crop DSLR ?

ulrich_brandl

When I reviewed the pictures I have taken in the late 70s, I found

some funny and some very interesting pictures shot with a fisheye

lens. After a system change I did not own such a lens for the last

25 years. Now, the DSLR with its immediate availability of results

increased my fun in experimentation and I would like to have a full

format fisheye again. But where is a fisheye for APS-C ?

The Zenitar and the Canon 15mm are not "fishy" enough when 1.6x

cropped, the 8mm Peleng is circular and would not be my first

choice. I am definitely not interested in a replacement for a

rectilinear wideangle lens how it is discussed in most threads here.

Does anbody have experience with a better solution ?

Ulrich

So you don't want it circlular and you don't wnat it rectilinear

"I am definitely not interested in a replacement for a rectilinear wideangle"

So what shape are you expecting to get?

The 8mm are circular becuase 180 image naturaly maps to a circle what do you want to map it to ?

--

Roger

Roger,

for 35mm cameras almost every brand has a "full format" fisheye. Its perspective is circular, but not the image. It has 180 degrees only in the picture's diagonal. That's what I search for APS-C format.

Ok, one can use a 8mm circular fisheye and crop a rectangular picture afterwards, but I like it much more when the image in the viewfinder is closer to the result.

Ulrich

Nikon used to make a true 180, full frame fisheye (I forget the focal lenght, I think it was around 6mm). The price was around $15,000 USD. If you can find one you could use it on a Canon EOS via any of the readily available adapters.

Otherwise, you'll have to wait until a company will make one and given the demand for such a lens, it could be never.

I think what Ulrich is looking for is a Canon equivalent to Nikon's 10.5. Unfortunately

they haven't produced one yet.

He is not looking for a full-circular fisheye, but a fisheye that covers the full frame,

like the 15mm did on Canon film cameras. The Peleng 8mm is a much softer lens to

start, and then when you crop into it to get the frame shape, you're loosing even

more. I wouldn't recommend that as a solution. The 15mm is still the best you going

to get as far as sharpness, though will loose some of your field of view like you said.

Giampero,

a circular fisheye is not what I want and your proposal is much more expensive than buying a 1DsMkII together with a 15mm Fisheye. That is not the amount of money I'd like to spend for a lens with very restricted use. Obviously no equivalent to the 10.5mm Nikkor seems to be on the market.

When I wrote my post,I was in hope, that someone better informed would know a lens I never heared of.

You have posted some nice pictures with the 15mm fisheye. Maybe that is the best possible approximation at the moment. Although the viewing angle should be a litte wider, I will give this lens a try.

Ulrich

sorry, there is no such thing for canon eos. the only options are what you've stated...

8mm

15mm cropped

or 1ds digi w/ 15mm

skateboard/bmx photographers have been dealing with the fisheye crop and most won't shoot digital because of it, they still stick with film. including myslef.

There are 0.25x auxiliary fisheye attachments that screw into filter thread of regular lens. On film cameras, they go from circle to rectangle as focal length of main lens increases. Quality is low, but so is the price (about $60-$70 at Adorama, Porter's, etc.). On my film camera, one gets a rectangle with a 100mm prime + 1.4x converter (about 105 degree angle across mid-frame horizontally). With 1.6 crop, you'd get full frame by zooming to about 60mm.

For a rarely used fisheye lens, I wouldn't pay hundreds of dollars for a regular, brand-name lens. he auxiliarly lens is fine as an occasional "fun" lens.

All you need is a simple Nikon to Canon lens adapter. It would be manual focus only, but who cares? At these focal lengths just about everything is in focus anyway. Unless the Nikor is a G lens. It'd be difficult to set the aperture if that's the case.

Another option is to use the Zenitar or other full frame fisheye & add some additional fisheye distortion in post processing. Not as wide, but you would get the effect.

Dear posters,

many thanks for your answers.

The idea of distortion in software is something I didn't think of. The resulting viewing angle from a 10-22 mm (125 degrees diagonal at its wide end)is wider than a 15mm fisheye cropped (about 112 degrees diagonal). Maybe this solution would be an acceptable (and very cheap) compromise at the current market situation, even if you can't predict the final composition in the viewfinder [a BIG disadvantage].

Ulrich