21mm Biogon (was a hood even available?),

35mm Biogon,

50mm Sonnar,

85mm Sonnar,

135mm Sonnar.

I am not interested in hearing about after market brands. I know

what size thread to use, etc. I only want to know about the orignal

Zeiss hoods that would have been available in the 1950's and early

1960's. I am only interested in the screw-in type, not push-on.

Thank you for your help!

I'm back, as promised.

There is finally nothing interesting regarding your question in the blue square brochure that provides slip-on lens hood references only :

1119 for the 50mm Sonnar and Tessar

1118 for the 85mm Triotar and 135mm Sonnar

1120 for the 85mm Sonnar

But maybe it's a mistake in that brochure as it's an English version (translated from the original German one) : the lens hoods are told to be "40.5mm diameter slip-on mount" that can't be true as slip-on lens hoods for 40.5mm threaded lenses must be 42mm slip-on hoods actually.

What I also found are the original prices infos (in Deutschmarks) in a narrow and rare German brochure, pictured below, with a smart lady handling a Contax on its cover (what a beautiful fifties dress and look BTW). But not the factory references.

Then :

- 40.5mm screw-in lens hood for 50mm Sonnar : DM 5.50

- 40.5mm screw-in lens hood for 85mm Triotar and 135mm Sonnar : DM 5.50

- 49mm screw-in lens hood for 85mm Sonnar : DM 5.50

- 77mm screw-in lens hood for 180mm, 300mm, 500mm : DM 35.00

- leather case for 40.5mm screw-in lens hood : DM 3.90

You might find the references from online shops. I was recently sent the vintage book "The Contax Way" by H. Freytag, I should receive it in 3 weeks (was sent to me surface mail from Texas) and I will search the ref. in it with pleasure if you still want to get them then. But I've no doubt someone else would have found all the ref. you need before I get the book.

Regarding the 21mm and 35mm Biogon I can't see any track of any lens hood ever designed for them in both the two brochures, not have I ever seen any of these two lenses fitted with an original Zeiss Ikon lens hood.

BTW would it be possible that Mr ContaxRFauthorityman couldn't provide you these data ? I can't believe it.

:)=<div>00Bw7r-23023284.thumb.JPG.1cf4aef80afe0ce97cbff5e68f3876d9.JPG</div>

In addition to the S1119 for the 50mm lenses, there was the A1115 42mm slip-on hood for the same lenses; I know you're not interested in the slip-ons, but the A1115 is almost identical in appearance to the S1119, so it's good to know about. Zeiss Ikon did not produce any hoods for the 21mm & 35mm Biogons. I believe that their reasoning was that the front elements were deeply recessed enough on those lenses that hoods were superfluous.

By the way...who is the Contax RF authority person? The names that jump out at me are Marc Small, Charles Barringer, Henry Scherer (a good repair source) and some of you guys that appear a lot on photo.net. But I would like to know more! Please advise. Thanks.

I have a Ziess Ikon Stuggart Lens hood that screws into my Sonnar 50mm and its model number is 1104. It came with the IIIa that I bought from an older gentleman.

I would be interested in finding out if there was ever a hood for the Biogon 21mm,if not, is there a modern hood available for this lens?

Wayne

I have found the model number for the screw-in lens hood for the 50 mm lenses. And the

prices. <br><br>

"Sonnenblende E 40,5 f�r Objektive 50 mm", #1104. DM 4.50 (1950), 5.40 (1951), 5,50

(1954-1955), 3.50 (1956). <br><br>

Note the drop in price of 1956. E 40,5 stands for "Einschraub" or Screw-in, 40.5 mm. Data

from: Hans-J�rgen Kuc, Auf den Spuren der Contax Band II.

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought a Conatx IIa and it came with the 50mm Sonnar and the 1119 shade. The 1119 shade is rather large and it cuts into the viewfinder quite a bit. A smaller vented shade would be better.

I also just bought a 40.5mm vented shade off of ebay and I will try it out on the lens wen I get a chance.