working trip to copenhagen, what to take?

alan_miller10

i'm fairly new to leicas and have already had a resolved a couple of teething

issues in my change over from an F3 SLR, my camera is an m6 ttl with 50mm

summicron (no idea of age, bought it from ffordes and it takes images that i

like. it's certainly not a new one but is rigid) The query i have is this:

I may have to go to copenhagen on a work trip (architecture) in a group which

will include two important clients that i have to chaperone. I'm still getting

used to the vagaries of the metering on the m6 and as such have had some

images exposed well and others not so, i have a tendency to overexpose

slightly and use film to give me a bit of breathing room. I think a lot of it

may be that a lot of the images i have taken that have been overexposed have

been done in brilliant strong sunshine and i seem to overexpose sometimes for

whatever reason.

I will probably need to make a slideshow of images afterwards to show my

collegues, these will need to be more a recording of situation rather than

nicely composed.

I have access to a d50 that i coudl take with a small zoom lens.

If this were you what would you take?

a] Leica as is, practice makes perfect after all.

b] leica + d50, document but also get photo's i want with the leica, big bag

to carry around all day though...

c] d50, life's too short to worry? I'll miss the OOF that i get with the leica

but hey ho.

I'm going to put some thought into it but knowing that quite a few of you have

access to both rangefinder and digital, just wondered what anyone else would

do...

Clearly you are not yet fully confident with the M6, so I would definitely take the D50. You will have the advantage of being able to review your shots immediately after taking them, so you can re-shoot any that don't meet your requirements.

As to whether you also take the M6, that is very much a personal decision. If this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to visit Copenhagen and you simply *must* have shots of the city taken on film with a Leica, you will probably just *have* to take the M6 with you.

Personally, I would leave it at home. This is a work trip after all. If you visit Copenhagen again, but as a tourist, you will have many different photo opportunities and you will be more confident in your abilities with the Leica.

So I suggest that, this time, you should leave the Leica at home and take only the D50, which better suits the job in hand.

fair points all, i was thinking along those lines myself. I might have overplayed my inexperience with the metering, no images have been unrecoverable but i'm discovering scanning the negs highlights any inaccuracies in my exposure that are corrected fairly easily.

I think the d50 does make a strong case for itself and i'm lucky enough to have a friend who has offered to lend me his for 3/4 days. My feeling is i will need to branch out to wider lenses given my recent experience in France on holiday, the 50mm just wasn't wide enough for a few shots. I'm still payign off the body purchase so expensive glass is out of the question. I have been lookign at the Zeiss 35mm and the VC 40mm nokton though as an alternative "standard" lens. Thats a thought for another day though, unless someone woudl like to lend me a wide angle lens for a few days in october ;-)

Take the D50.<p>

Any client that sees you running around with an expensive elitist Leica is likely to reach the

conclusion you're making way too much money off them.<p>

Photographic considerations alone, however, it would be a no contest vote for the Leica. The

metering takes a little getting used to, but it's a dream to use after. Love it to bits.

The problem with the selective metering system of the M6 is that it is designed for motives with a reflection of 18 % of the light. So if the reflexion is higher or lower, the metering results become incorrect. You, thus, have to learn how to find a correctly reflecting part of your motive to use for your light metering.

Before going, I would, therefore, practice light metering with your M6 by comparing your metering results when aiming at a motive with a metering under the same circumstances of light reflected from a neutral grey card (from Kodak) with 18 % reflexion. As a replacement you could also use the palm of your hand, on condition that the light comes from the side (in direct sun without any shadows you must correct + ᄑ).

In that way you will quickly learn what parts of a given motive you should meter with the M6's spot meter in order to get correct exposure with the light meter built into your camera. In that way you will also learn that the palm of your hand is a good way to get reliable metering results when the motive is difficult to meter.

The method is described in detail in Günter Osterloh, Leica M, Hohe Schule der Fotografie (on page 171-175 in my edition which is from 1985 - but there are newer editions and the book can be had in English also).

As to what camera you should bring, I have no doubt that you should bring the M6. The 50/2 is a good lens and is useful, although it is getting autumn now in Copenhagen and thus a bit darker than in the summer. The sun rises around 7 a.m. and sets at around 7 p.m.

For architecture, I would perhaps prefer a wide angle such as a 28 mm lens. If you do not have one, you might perhaps be able to borrow or lease one.

I do not know whether such a lease could be arranged with the Leica dealer Photographica in Copenhagen(www.photographica.com), but it might be an idea to call them and ask. Besides, it might be easier for you to get correct exposures with a 28 mm lens than with a 50 mm.

It is not unimportant which slide film you use. I would recommend Fujichrome Velvia 50, 100 or 100F.

wow a barrage of tips...

I've used the palm of hand trick quite well a number of times after starting a bit of an argument with an earlier post. Oddly enough i've managed to take some spot on pictures of weddings with black and white ago-go when the day was sunny to overcast, but it seems to fall down slightly in much brighter light. its just a case of practising and learning until i know my tools.

I use a lot of 160C and have just started to use reala. Also getting back into B/W after about 10 years... I've tried using neopan 1600 due to a few evening opportunities...

The main problem i have is looking at a lot of peoples images, especially the "first rolls of leica" I'm waaaaay too embarrassed to put anything of mine up yet. I really like a lot of Trevor Hare's pictures amongst others. I used to think i was quite good or at least ok, but hey ho. I enjoy takign pictures and i like some of the ones i've taken which is what matters to me.

thanks again, and keep the opinions coming. :-)

I'll let others weigh in on the question of 1st camera/2nd camera, but without question I'd urge you to bring 2 cameras.

Reason: Cameras sometimes fail. New or old, battery-dependent or mechanical, film or digital, under tough conditions or gentle usage, they occasionally quit working without warning. It's happened to me 3 times in recent years ... with 3 different brands, I might add.

Good luck, and please post a few for us here when you get back.

I love my Leica collection but I use my D70 for all my family snaps and trips. I wouldn't even think of carrying around a bagful of film and dealing with having it developed afterward. My family and friends want to look at vacation photos on the HDTV, and e-mail them to each other around the country and world, so I'd end up spending hours and hours scanning film if I shot it. OTOH I'm not a "serious" photographer, just a family photo snapshot guy. Maybe I will go on trips with Leica again when my M8 comes in. Or maybe not, I wouldn't like to have to put a $5ooo camera and $12ooo of lenses in checked baggage if I'm caught somewhere and there's a repeat of the recent London clampdown.

I will be indeed flying from britain. The baggage is something i'd pondered. I need to find out which airline we'll be flying with as i think they are all differing quite wildly at the moment. Hopefully it will have calmed down a little by the time i go out there... (mid October) just hope i don't have to take my laptop as well or i could be screwed... I can just imagine the insurance claim gLOL! We've got the oresund bridge on the itinery at the moment. It should be spectacular.

"...so I'd end up spending hours and hours scanning film if I shot it. "

That's not necessary. Simply have your film developed and scanned. You'll get back your

negs and a CD full of JPEG's that are more than adequate for 4x6's, and certainly good

enough for emailing.

yep. potentially two clients. its a busy busy three days as we start in copenhagen for 2 days and then cross over the oresund bridge to malmo for the final day... if i can go (first come first served) then that alone has to be worth going for... i guess the limiting factor is likely to be the baggage more than anything else.

d50 i feel is a must due to the nature of the images i need and the leica will come along as well if i have room.

re: the scanning i'm developing a system at home. develop with index print at metrocolour lab in birmingham, leave the negs as a strip and then set the scanner going when i'm away, gets it all scanned nicely and i don't a] have to pay loads for it and b]even though i have a much maligned cheapy film scanner [jessops primefilm thing 3650] it does the job and seems to do it better than the cheap scans i've had done by jessops and fuji before now. This allows me to spend more money on film and beer and hifi... hurrah all round.

You're not very familar with your Leica yet. Maybe a bit awkward. Important trip. You have a D50. Obvious answer. Just take the Leica. You'll never learn to use it if you have D50. Just take the Leica and one lens. You'll be surprised how quickly you catch on if you're NOT trying to juggle another camera at same time. Go for it. No guts no glory. You'll come back a Leica expert.

After years of priactice and self-denial I have come to the conclusion (at least for my own selfish purposes) that the less gear you take on a pleasure or busines trip the more successful it might be. You aren' t bother by worrying about the weight of the stuff you carry in your kit bag nor the safety of the stuff you left back at the hotel. For me just one camera and a favorite lens that I can always carry on my person will avail the best opportunities for good keeper images and when you get to your final destination you realize you haven't sacrificed any convenience or opportunity to the vague possibility of obtaining some rare shot with an exotic lens or other paraphernalia. Keeping it simple has afforded mazimum enjoyment of the trip with a minimum of bother about equiipment.