Digicam-tough enough for bicycle touring?

I plan to take some long bicycle tours and carry a camera in a

padded bag on the bike. The old mechanical cameras were fine, but I

have no idea about the digicams. In looking at the current cameras,

the Leica/Panasonic LC-1 were the only ones that appear to be able

to handle the bumps and bruises.

I don't care about a given mfr, size or price. I want something

that will work dependably. I would appreciate any insight.

Thanks,

Pete

I have not found any of my digicams to be particularly fragile, no more so than similar

size/feature 35mm cameras.

You might consider one of the ruggedized point and shoots: I have a 2Mpixel Sony DSC-

U60 which has been bashed and bonked a lot, still keeps clicking, and there's the Pentax

43WR with 4Mpixels and even smaller.

Almost any camera fitted into a trim but protective neoprene casing will be fine.

Godfrey

Pete,

I have used my good old Canon A40 on several day-long road rides & tours with no problems. Put it in a plastic bag when it rains. I suspect the newer Canon Powershots (A85/A95/A510) would do just as well.

Whatever you buy, I'd suggest something powered by AA batteries - it's easier to find replacements when you're on the road. Avoid proprietary batteris unless you plan to buy extras or carry a charger.

Good luck.

Pete,

I have the Leica Digilux 2 (twin of the Panasonic LC1) and it would be a wonderful

camera for what you're doing. Pricey though.

But I also agree with the above comments that in general digicams are pretty tough.

I've had the Pentax 43WR as well and it offers a lot for the money, but no RAW or

manual controls. Still, I've pulled beautiful 12x18 color prints from its 4mp files.

I've had my Digilux 2 for about 13 months now and I still reach for it whenever it will

do the job (i.e. - something in the 28-90mm equiv. range). It has a fast f/2-2.4 lens

and spits out perfect jpgs that require little or no post processing. And the images

have a "Leica" contrast and color palette that I've seen in none of the other 13 digital

camera (5 dslrs and 8 p&s) that I've owned.

I guarantee you would not regret buying either D2 or LC1. It's the only digital camera

I've owned that I would never part with.

The biggest downside to the Pan-a-Leica route is price and noise at high IS0. If you

need ISO 400 you'll have to shoot RAW for best results.

Good luck!

>the Leica/Panasonic LC-1 were the only ones that appear to be able >to handle the bumps and bruises

How did you determine that? Anyway, that camera is somewhat large, and I'd think you'd want to keep the weight down. I found my old Canon Elph S230 to be quite rugged. But I think if I were you I might look into one of the new Olympus Stylus Verve digicams. They're weather sealed, small and light. In general with less moving mechanical parts, and much less mass, the smaller digicams should be, if anything, more rugged than the old mechanical counterparts. The main worry might be getting splashed and wet, which is why I think the Oly stylus digicams might be nice. I agree though that being able to use AA batteries is a really good feature if you'll be on the road. Don't know if the little olympus allows that.

As long as you put your camera in some kind of padded pouch, I suspect any modern digicam would probably be fine. I have a Canon A95 that I often carry in a padded pouch in a handlebar bag or rear pannier when biking. It doesn't seem any the worse for it. I'm wondering if the fewer moving parts in a compact digicam (generalizing, I know) might actually make them more robust than a more mechanical camera.

I used to carry an Olympus OM-2 and a couple of lenses in a bar bag and that kit never seemed to mind, either. I suspect most cameras are generally tougher than many of us give them credit for.

It's also so cute and dinky!

Oh no! I sound like a little girl! I think the recent heatwave in London is getting to me....!

More seriously though I really did like the look and feel of the OptioWP in the shop.

If I was looking for a small and compact "go-anywhere" but "fit in your pocket" camera this would be top of my list!

Here is one of the first images I took with my 43WR... truly a "grab shot." It should

give an idea of what the camera is able to do. I was driving along the interstate in

early December on the opposite side of the highway from the barn and green hills

when I saw this gorgeous golden light. I pulled over and having just bought the 43WR

had it on the seat beside me. I stood on the car bumper, held the camera up as high

as I could and still see the LCD, and fired off four quick shots at ISO 50, "P" mode.

Then opened back hatch to get out my 20D. But before I could get it from the bag the

light changed and the scene was ordinary again. When I got home, this frame was the

only one of the four without a blurred car or semi truck in it (the other lane of traffic

is just below the bottom of the frame.

Later I made a 12x18 of this image as a test and was blown away with the quality of

the lens and 4mp processor. Of course, with that light any camera would have made a

nice photo. I still wish I'd had the Leica within reach. It would've been a notch better.<div>00C3P6-23259884.jpg.c8c8eb757a9d23bf4e296239882a413b.jpg</div>

I know the routine - during bicycle touring trips around Baja California 25 years ago I wrapped my Ricoh SLR in a handtowel to keep it from banging around too much in my metal-bottomed Kirtland handlebar bag (which also held a six-pack of Dos Equis or Negro Modelo). The Ricoh always returned home alive, except when it took a swim in the Guadalupe River.

P&S digicams seem to be surprisingly tough. We have four Olympus P&S digicams in our family and none of 'em is pampered. I let my 12-y/o niece borrow my C-3040Z and it always comes back intact.

Just use a halfway decent padded bag - nothing special, just a little padding. Any camera that feels reasonably solid in your hands will probably hold up just fine.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...