Trying to step out of my box. Once I capture raw files than what?

elaine marie

Elaine,

eventually you should try working with raw and get familiar with the workflow before using it on a wedding? ... Just a thought.

If you want to stick with Elements 3.0 you should get the latest

version of Camera Raw from Adobe. You don't mention which camera you

use, but likely it's supported by ACR.

The other option is to use a separate program for the conversion from

raw to tiff...RawShooter Essentials is one of them. (RSE can still be had for free until Adobe comes out with the first version of Lightroom...as far as I know)...But there are other RawConverters as well.

You might need more flash-cards because raw-files are considerably

larger than the jpg-files.

For downloading, you do the same as you did so far ... you use a card-reader and copy the files from the flash-card to your PC.

In any case, do search photo.net for processing raw files ... you'll

likely find some threads with the same question along with

valuable answers.

Rainer

Elaine,

I too just did the trying to step out of the box and use RAW instead of letting the camera process. I shot the family and dogs some to test and then branched out to a baby shower. So I had been playing around with it for a few months. Well this past weekend I finally felt comfortable enough to shoot a wedding this way without doing the RAW+JPG. I too have the 20D and the Canon Digital Software. I tried to process the files in there. That was frustrating. The Adobe Camera RAW seems to be better for me to make some adjustments and then taking the pics into Photoshop to finish adjusting since Photoshop is where I am more comfortable there.

Good luck.

I spent something like 6 months shooting RAW with my Canon G6 (not weddings, just everyday shots) before getting the 20D and using it for weddings.

I bought Bruce Fraser's book Real World Camera RAW and practiced having a smooth and consistent workflow. It does take awhile to learn but that's only because i'd been shooting film before that. If you have experience in photoshop then that should reduce the learning curve a bit. I jumped straight into RAW 'cos i wasn't confident of using JPEG's.

Anyway, you can open your files in the free software that came with your camera. Then probably convert it to tiff and work from there in PS elements.

Elaine, the Canon RAW software is pretty good. Many people (like myself) who have PSCS2

don't use it much, but it actually does most of the RAW functions of ACR. So, to

experiment with RAW development to be sure you like it, try the Canon program you

already paid for.

The software you want is the Digital Photo Professional and a CD should have come with

your Camera. If your copy is an older version, you can go to www.canon.com > Americas

> Consumer Products > EOS Cameras > Downloads and drivers > Digital Photo

Professional 2.1R2 Updater.

I would have hated learning RAW conversion on a wedding. I'd suggest getting a good conversion program, learning how to use it, then try some smaller photo sessions to get the hang of it. I highly recommend getting a book on RAW and studying it. Many people don't think there's a worthwhile difference between RAW and JPG (hence the constant debate), but that's often because they haven't learned how to process RAW files to get the most out of them. Good conversion software is important. ACR is good (it's all I know), but there are other programs people swear by. I took the final plunge during the off season when I had the time to better understand how to take advantage of RAW's capabilities, then I was ready when wedding season rolled around. If you decide to take the plunge now anyway, I'm sure you'll get lots of help to get through it.

Thank you everyone for your help. I will do some more research and see if I can find the software that came with my camera and see how that goes. I am getting ready to switch over to a Mac from a dell soon, so I dont want to invest in to much software at this point. I really appreciate everyones time.

Elaine Marie

Elaine,

Definitely wait on shooting a wedding in RAW until you are comfortable processing the files.

I think the biggest advantage to RAW format is the speed in processing. It cut my processing time in half and has allowed me to invest in other areas of my business.

And for those of you that don't know, you can change a PC Photoshop license to a Mac version for under $10 with Adobe. So don't hesitate on getting the software now so that you can start learning it.