R800 as part of Film/LS4000/OSX workflow

I'm wondering if anyone is using an R800 as part of a workflow

involving a Nikon Coolscan 4000 running under OS X?

Are you happy with the ultimate output?

How much effort have you had to put into calibrating the printer?

Have you used the R800 as a proofing tool for larger output done by a

pro lab? (e.g. I'm thinking that my typical use will be letter-sized

or less, but I'd also like to know that if I've put a lot of work into

getting great output on an R800 and decide I want to see it even

larger then I don't have to start over from square one).

And finally, has anyone heard rumours of an R800 replacement in the

works? (links appreciated) I've waited this long to buy a printer, I

could easily wait a few more months if there were a big trade show

coming up... But I also recognise that if something is 6 months off in

the digital world you might as well buy now if you're happy with

what's on offer.

TIA,

jon

Two out of three ain't bad. I have an R800 with a Coolscan 4000, but running under Windows XP.

The printer will give you stunning, beautiful prints. But, it's weak point is definitely in the darker colours, specifically dark brown and dark green. Think the shadowed part of an arch in the Southwest in the first case, and trees in the shade in a wide landscape in the second. Unfortunately, those dark colours tend to muddy up and lose detail.

I had a custom profile made, hoping that might cure the issue, but it didn't, and ultimately I decided I preferred the factory profile to the custom profiles anyway. That's just from doing simple a/b blind comparisons, not from going over every inch of the prints with a loupe.

However, as far as the problem I mentioned above goes, I've found that printing using "Saturation" as the intent, rather than "Perceptual" or "Relative Colorimetrec" greatly improves the shadowed areas, although overall the print ends up looking slightly different than it would have with the other 2 rendering intents. Of course, that method is only for the images that need it.

I haven't used it as a proofing tool for another lab, and I don't know about a replacement coming out for it. But other than that one weakness, it's an excellent printer. Extremely quiet, beautiful vibrant glossy prints, and versatile.

Hi,

I do not know of a replacement for the R800 as of yet. This is since I believe the R800 hasn't been long in the market so I figure it is considered new technology thus there is no need to replace it.

I have an Epson R1800 and I am very happy with the results. I have ordered prints from ADORAMAPIX, OFOTO and other labs and the prints I get from them tend to have a yellow cast but when I print on my R1800 I can truly say that what I see in my monitor is what I get on my prints. (monitors throw light, prints reflect light and there is a little difference here but it is not a lot)