Nikon D70s and D50 announced

ralf_strandell

Some interesting details

The D50 features a *new* 6.1 Mpix CCD, ISO 200-1600 and shutter speeds from 30sec to 1/4000sec.

It's capable of taking 2,5 jpeg/normal images per second for 54 seconds and it features a "child" program mode. That's a more useful feature than "night portrait mode" for many or most people. A very nice entry level dSLR for young families...

The D50 also has an 1/500 sec flash sync, 2 inch LCD, USB2 Hi-Speed support, SD-cards, smaller size, an AF-A mode that automatically switches between single-servo and continuous-servo autofocus depending on movement in the frame...

The image quality remains to be seen.

The D70s has a bit faster continuous shooting mode than the D50 (3fps, 48sec, jpeg/normal/large), a remote cord, a CF-card slot, a faster shutter (1/8000sec) and a "night portrait mode" instead of "child", WB finetuning (but still no kelvin setting) and still a penta-dach-mirror viewfinder.

It would be interesting to know what settings the child mode on the D50 affects. Is it just a marketing trick or is it something really useful?

Sizes compared: The D70s is about 5% wider, 10% taller and 10% heavier than D50.

How big's the viewfinder? Has anybody looked through one, yet? That's what kept me from the D-70 - that tiny viewfinder. I'm hopeful that Nikon got the message that Pentax sent with their larger one. For us "visually challenged types," bigger is better.

Kit

<i>"It would be interesting to know what settings the child mode on the D50 affects. Is it

just a marketing trick or is it something really useful?"</i>

<p>

Now I'm just guessing here, but Child Portrait could be regular Portraint with Red Eye

Reduction turned on.

Kit - The viewfinding looked pretty good for a small little camera. The prism head seemed smaller on the D50 compared to the D70 but it seemed to have a comparable viewfinder. Keep in mind, I didn't take time to make a real comparison between the two... They'll be out soon enough so you can decide for yourself. For such a tiny camera, it was pretty neat!