A Chuck Westfall (Canon technical director) interview

mark u

Grant: I should probably email you directly but this is easier, if you happen to see it. Since you have different Eos DSLRs I am wondering if the D30 has a noticeably slower shutter lag compared to the newer models? I understand the warm up time may be longer but that's okay. I will be shooting a lot of sports with a D30 and want to make sure the time from pressing the shutter button to the shutter actually firing is similar to the previous film SLRs. Thank-you, John.

Little shutter lag on the D30, I don't notice any but the AF isn't up to the task of sports photography. You'd be better off getting a used 1D which has a much faster and more accurate AF and is geared towards sports/PJ photography. Even a used 10D is much faster than the D30.

I still have my D30, have no reason not to keep it. I find that it's the perfect DSLR for snapshots of family outings. Small files and high quality JPEG images. For the price of a used D30 and either a Tamrom 24-135mm Macro or a Canon 28-135 IS, the D30 can't be beat by any of the P&S's on the market today, IMHO of course:)

Thank-you Thomas. Actually call me outdated but I'd be using the Canon FD 200/2.8 and 400/2.8 with the Canon 1.26x adapter, the first handheld and the second on a monopod. I would be shooting both wide open so it is easy to set up and let the camera select the shutter speed. When I am done with it, it will be perfect for my wife to use with the EF 50/1.8, EF 70-210, and EF 28-80. When I eventually run out of slow speed film I'll get a better DSLR and an EF 200/2.8 L. Sounds like the D30 body will go better with these heavy lenses in the meantime. I'll keep looking.

Allow me to be encouraging:)

For the basic, high quality, family oriented outings, the D30 can't be beat. Small files and high pixel quality that kicks P&S tail:)

With a BG-ED3 attached and a "L" lense like the 16-35 or a 24/28-70mm f/2.8L, nobody on the hiking trail will question your authority:) And for 8"X12" and under, the quality, dare I say it, is up to that of Kodak MAX 400.

What do I base this on. I look at pics my wife captures on her Rebel film camera, using a Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 to create drug store 4"X6" images against those captured using a D30 with a Canon 28-70mm f/2.8L printed on a lowly HP PSC 950 (four color), All-In-One printer and there's much more detail in the comparable D30 image.

There is a draw back to getting a lowly D30; image. Hikers see you with this arcane set-up; D30, BG-ED3 w/28-70mm and immediately want to know who you work for, in a polite way or they'll thoughtfully stop so you can "get the shot." Normally they'll just shove you over the cliff:) "Otta the way Dufus!" Many a time I'd stop to get the shot and (you know how you get lost in the viewfinder) there'll be five or six people on the trail watching you. Kinda a strange feeling when you come out of the viewfinder and you see that you're today's entertainment:)

You almost feel stupid (like you're a poser) when you state for the record that you're "just a hobbiest who likes photography" and not a working photographer with "Wine Country Living" or "California Today":)

I'm sure many here have had similar experiences when on a country or beach outing with one of these pro/am DSLRs.

Getting off topic but I know the feeling. Whether I am at the track with a big white lens, or a two hour hike into the woods on top of a cliff with my 4x5, the reactions are the same. It's really funny watching people dive out of the way, of what they suppose to be a shot, as you reach for your keys in your pocket or the apple in your bag!

This is when digital would be fun because you can show people immediately what you have been shooting. They are usually dieing to know what I am trying to create, especially when they see all the sweat rolling off my brow from carrying all the equipment.

Hey soon enough I will be able to ask them if they would like a picture of themselves, that I can charge for, and email it directly to their homes half way around the world directly from my DSLR. Cool!

John,

I'd say that the D30 shutter lag isn't noticeable to me, but the only other cameras I've shot are the 300D and 10D. Tested 20Ds, and I doubt it's as fast as those. I've only shot digital too, so I don't know how it compares to a film body.

For AF/Servo, I think it would be adequate for sports use, since I've been able to use mine for birds and butterflies in flight with an EF200/2.8. But since you're focusing manually f/2.8 or f/3.5 equivalent via the adapter, that shouldn't matter at all.

Feel free to email me if you've got other questions. My photo.net address is gjgaborno@

I think Canon should just give us back the basics that are missing from the current DSLR's. Decent viewfinder size and brightness, AF technology that is not 10 years old (AF on the 10D is hopeless after the EOS3), ECF option for those of us that love it.

I am more than happy with the 10D sensor and have never ran into trouble with the relatively small buffer and file transfer time. Yes ISO in the viewfinder would be nice.

More megapixels will come with time as will a greater latitude for the sensor - then we won't require exposure shifts.