OT: what's in your cd player?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mary: I LOVE Lucinda! I, er....touched her, once, after a concert here in T.O. She walked by a bunch of us and high-fived on the way to the dressing room.

Yo-Yo Ma and Ennio Morricone is my latest purchase. Also got music for my (103rd) birthday, from "Motorcycle Diaries", quite brilliant.

King Curtis Live at the Fillmore West. Absolutely THE best version of Whiter Shade of Pale

you'd ever likely to hear. Same goes for an absolutely stunning version of Mr Bojagles. Soul

the way it should be played. Check it out.

Olivier,<p>I'm glad that you got to see him. That must have been incredible! I didn't arrive upon the planet until 1964. You should get the recording.<p>Correction, the master tape was moving at 30 inches per second, not tpi.<p>I also have Peter Donahoe playing the Tchaikovsky. Donahoe won the Tchaikovsky Competition in Moscow just before the end of the Soviet era. Then he went into hiding for many years.<p>I also have very fond memories of Arthur Rubenstein playing the Tchaikovsky concerto on an 12" RCA Italia LP vinyl disk recorded in Rome. That was a great performance I found from my public library back in the 1980s. I've been waiting for it to come out on CD, but so far it hasn't.

I have two CD changers, 400 discs each. So pretty much everything is in my CD player. Or *was*. They're both nearly empty now because all of the music is being transferred to a network-attached hard drive accessible to any computer in the house (and soon the stereo, too).

But in my car CD changer last I checked:

Trembling Blue Stars,

Chet Baker,

Death Cab for Cutie,

Snow Patrol,

Marisa Monte,

and a band called Momzer (http://www.momzermusic.com)

OK, I'm in that last band, but it really is in my CD player...

j

Robert, it WAS incredible, though I was in my mid-teens and maybe not yet able to

appreciate it all. But the memory is clear.

Funny you mentionned Arthur Rubinstein. My late uncle François, who was a famous

French film-maker, and who introduced me to JS Bach (he'd play Bach records full blast

all day), and actually took me to that Van Cliburn concert, did a film about Rubinstein

(as he did about Menuhin and a few other musicians.) Funny and light-hearted genius,

Rubinstein, who pretended never to practice.

And to get back OT, I worked with that uncle as a cameraman, and this where I developed

a love for images, film and film gear. As well as for music.

I keep mostly rock & R&B instrumentals (e.g., everything from Dick Dale, Rockin' Rebels, Booker T & The MGs, Mickey Baker, to Illinois Jacquet) on my iPod, as it seems appropriate to the personal soundtrack concept. Lately, I've been on an '60's garage & hard rock/proto-punk kick so I also have the Sonics, Kingsmen, 13th Floor Elevators, Yardbirds, MC5, etc.

The Kings of Convenience, Mogwai, Film School, The Clientele, Iron & Wine, Shostakovich's

preludes and fugues, various things. I am rarely without music -- whether on at home, in

the car, or walking around town. I actually find it much easier for me to take pictures when

I am listening to headphones. It removes distractions and gives me some more courage.

Where I might be hesitant to photograph someone I don't know without music, if I have my

headphones on, I feel "safer" I guess...like I am inhabiting a different space from them, one

from which my actions will not bother them. Of course, it is all mental, but I find music

puts me in a better mindset for photography.

1. Ahmad Jamal Trio -- "The Awakening" (originally Impulse 1970)

His version of Oliver Nelson's tune "Stolen Moments" (on this record) is sensational.

2. Two cd set (collection) of Marvin Gaye recordings.

What can I say? I'm reachin' back.