Contax T3 zone focusing?

peter_kim2

Hi I wanted to try some street photography with my Contax T3 but I'm

not sure if I can zone focus with it like on a traditional SLR.

In the manual there is a chart which gives focusing ranges but I'm

not too sure if I understand it. The manual states that at f/8 it

gives an optimal focus at 5 meters and a zone of 2.33 meters to

infinity.

Does this mean everything from 2.33 to infinity should be in focus

regardless of the shutter speed?

Basically, Yes. The zone of what they deem as acceptable focus is from 2.33 meters to infinity, with the sharpest area of focus falling at and around 5 meters. Shutter speed has no effect on depth of field. Obviously if you choose f8 and the camera chooses a slow shutter speed you could get motion blur but that is a different issue.

Thanks Scott. Actually I think I asked the wrong question. I didnt mean regardless of shutter speed but rather focusing point.

Since the T3 is an autofocus camera. If I set it at f/8 should everything within that range (say 2.33 meters to infinity again) be in focus no matter what its focused on?

You need to use the function buttons to set manual focus and then select the correct hyperfocal point. This is slightly frustrating for two reasons. 1- you have to reset it for each photo. Can't just leave it on 3metres 2- you can't set any distance you want on it.

Go to a depth of field calculator (type it in in Google) and work out the hyperfocal point (where you want to set manual focus) for each F stop. Then print off a small table in word and stick it to the back of your lovely gleaming T3. You have to adjust for where it allows you to focus. Better still I'll type in the figures off the back of my T3 as it's in my pocket. The first figure in metres is the focus point and the second is the nearest distance that is acceptably sharp

f4 - 10m 5m f5.6- 10m 4.2m f8 - 5m 2.5m f11- 5m 2.1m f16- 3m 1.4m

Hope this helps.

f4-

You need to use the function buttons to set manual focus and then select the correct hyperfocal point. This is slightly frustrating for two reasons. 1- you have to reset it for each photo. Can't just leave it on 3metres

Ivan,

Set up manual focus with custom function #7 and you can leave it at 3 metres forever.

Peter, I practically always shoot my T3 at f8, and for fast shooting I lock in focus with the shutter release button on a convenient object at "around" 3 meters from the camera, then recompose if necessary and shoot. This gives plenty of DOF for most shooting situations.