UN-Mate Rating

kslonaker

With all the talk about mate-rating and so on, here's an idea to

try: go to the "who's online now" list and find a name (or two or

three) you have never seen before and visit their page. Take the

time to comment on at least three of their pictures before moving on

to the next person. You may find some interesting people this way.

(The reason I use the "who's online now" list is so I'm commenting

on someone who is an active member, rather than someone who may

never check in to PN, but shows up as a member).

I tend to follow comments others have left on images, too, as a way

of finding different photographers on PN, other than those who

always appear in the TRP. While I have an extensive list

of "regulars", whose work I look forward to, I find that little

groups tend to form on PN and these suggestions are a way around it.

Funny you should mention that... I often see who's online and view their images or bounce from an image I am commenting on to the page of others who have left comments for that same image. I don't leave, or expect, ratings though. I prefer comments, but I really like you idea just the same.

I also agree that small groups seem to form based on reciprocal ratings, which is fine by me, it just seems that a person would see more interesting images if they jumped around a bit. I have found quite a few images that were not on the top rated photos page but were really interesting anyway. At any rate, great idea!

- Randy

My other way to find interesting photographer / works is by browsing through people's top rated pictures. So far I have found several that I made as "mark this person as interesting".

For some weird reason, I don't really go to TRP to look for interesting photographer... don't know why though, maybe I prefer underdogs ? :)

Albert.

I don't go to the TRP to find "new" photographers because so often, it's the same group on there. I'd rather seek out new people who may not be recognized yet for whatever reason. I also go to other photographers' TRP's, Albert. There are many ways to see new work on PN; you just have to look.

Kim, do the TRP from the back page instead, you can find lots of

interesting people that way.

<p>

By the way, has anyone else noticed that there have been some really

interesting shots on the TRP the past couple of days.

as I understand it that's also a way to woo newbies to become instant fans of you and your work and thus shower you with unbridled high rates on subsequent uploads. not that there's anything 'wrong' with that, eh? so perhaps you've discovered one of the clever ways that all the OTHER mate raters operate, from the mafiosees to the wannabees to the regardsees. good work!

Patricia...when u press search..then go previous a couple times and u can view it in reverse.

I tend to agree with Howard on this, though it rings with a bit of paranoia. I think PN doesnt have an instant messaging system or live chatroom for the very reason of avoiding materating, but could be wrong on that.

Reciprocal rating doesn't nesessarily imply mate rating but the live presence would seem to add an element of "peer pressure". The element of argument would seem a greater danger also, as with no time delay the option of having others lay down interceding comments or just time to reflect and ponder doesn't offer much opportunity.

I tend to mark as interesting people who comment on my photos. Then periodically I look at what they have done and comment on their work in return. I use rate recent, though less frequently these days and sometimes I look at who is online now.

Doesn't seem to make much any difference though. The only thing that seems to make a difference is the time of day I submit a RFC

Howard, you never disappoint...I said "comment", not rate. The most common complaint on PN is that people form these little cliques and mate-rate each other. The best way around it is to expand your horizons and go beyond your "group" to see what else is out there. I guess it could also have the effect of expanding your "group", but that's not why I do this. I have 74 photographers marked as interesting and generally add at least one more per month by going in search of images, not in the TRP. I enjoy seeing new photographers grow, hopefully because of some suggestions I have to offer. I also feel I can learn from those photographers who are way beyond my knowledge and abilities. A win-win situation.

actually, Kim, YOU have RE-discovered, not just for yourself but for the COMMUNITY the RIGHT way to share the gift of photography within photo.net in REAL TIME. and I only pointed out what is probably common knowledge among the ratings-happy sharpies in the interest of full disclosure of the facts of PN life. (-;

interesting how paulo mentions the relationship between time of day and productivity in the critique forum. i, too, have noticed that during certain times of the day (or week) i seem to get more comments, ratings, and views than at other times. also, i have noticed a difference in the quality of images in the critique forum at certain times. yah it is interesting... and i try to use this knowlege to my advantage... but only with little success so far ;) haha

a great thread you've start here, kim. regards,