Wedding Photographer as Door to Door Salesman

zofia

Hi everyone! I live on Nantucket Island. I've only been shooting weddings by word of mouth so far. This is

mainly because I've always had a full-time job and didn't want to get in over my head. I've also only lived

here summers until this past year when we decided to stay year round for the long haul. We had a baby

last year, so I didn't advertise heavily, so I could focus on her. I'm now ready to get going, head first, and

sell sell sell for next year.

The B&Gs here are some local, but also from all over New England, and many from Boston. I've searched

"nantucket wedding photographer" to see where people are advertising their services online, and not much

has popped up. Only a few of the photogs here advertise with The Knot or any other national wedding

service registry. It's really mostly word of mouth here, plus local wedding planning magazines.

Getting to my point... I think the best thing I could do is go to the hotels/florists/caterers/wedding

planners on the island and hand out cards. I've never liked doing this because I feel like such a door to

door salesman, er woman. I'm wondering if anyone has good advice on how to best do this. What time of

the year is best? I'm sure they're all too busy right now with September being the busiest wedding month

here. Many people get engaged around the holidays, so maybe Oct/Nov? What's a good way to approach a

business? Obviously dress nice, etc... I just want something more to say than "Hi, here's my card, please.

please, please refer me.". What's the incentive for a business to refer you? I suppose I could take some of

their cards too so I could say, "I'll refer you, too."?

Any suggestions on making this a more pleasant experience would be appreciated! Thanks! Z.;

IMO this is more a case of targeted marketing than "door-to-door". Just re-framing your position on this may help you feel better about doing it.

I would suggest having a photo or two on the leave-behind rather than just a card. Even better, something worth keeping that might even be useful for them.

I was also thinking of leaving a "calling card", not sure what it would be called in this

situation. A 5x7 with a few different images, plus my info, plus the business cards.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Even better, something worth keeping that might even be

useful for them.", Maury. I'd love to hear some examples. Maybe my creativity is low today!

Go and introduce yourself. Take an album to show your work. Drop off the 5x7s and cards as proposed. There doesn't have to be an incentive. Just get yourself known as someone who does great work.

Also...

There is nothing wrong with being a salesman. You'll find that at least 50% of your time as a photographer will be spent on sales/marketing activities. If you can't sell, you won't be shooting too many weddings.

You have such a lovely elegant name it will serve you well to get it out in front of all the other vendors.

Be prepared to have vendors ask you to recommend them as well. In our experience the couple secures the caterer & venue first and then the photographer & dj and florist. But we prefer to recommend only vendors with whom we have worked.

Offer to take some free pics of their products/services and give them a couple of prints to display. Cake makers like this a lot!

Is there a local Chamber of Commerce that you could join? Many hold monthly luncheons where you'd get to meet people. Maybe not people who are getting married, but this one knows that one who knows...and word gets around. As others have suggested, cooperate with other vendors and have some of their cards handy. When you do a wedding give, not sell, a print to the bridal shop, the florist, the caterer, etc. Don't forget the mens' formal wear places on the island also.

I'm trying to revitalize my business and I'm sending a set of flower photos out today to the florist from the last wedding along with a bunch of photo business cards I made. Below is a sample of one of the 4x6" cards I use. I have a variety of photos on the cards. I also place the cards on the engagement portrait table at the reception. I'm also offering to link some of these businesses on my website. In exchange for wedding referrals you can also offer some simple product photography for the florest and other vendors. This is a good way to network with other businesses. Nothing wrong with that!<div>00Hpl6-32011284.jpg.6bcd85f29771a4cadfb4eea6ce4c44f9.jpg</div>

Todd, I definitely don't mind linking other vendors sites to mine, but how do you know that

they're referring you? Should you just offer to do so on goodwill? Or do you tell them that if

the couple says you recommended them, that you'll link them? I'm all for taking free photos

for other vendors too. Nothing wrong with that.

Zofia,

I have not yet placed links on my site. It's still under construction. However, I would not list everyone. I would list those with whom I have worked or who seem to do a good job or from whom I have received referrals. It needs to be selective.

I'm still trying to find ways to get good internet exposure for my site.

Hello there!

A very easy way to advertise is at your local large chain hotels that have a good rep with weddings.

Get in contact with their wedding/event planners for the hotel, and ask them to put you on their contact list for bridal couples with book with them.

I would call first, ask if they would like to see your work first, and if so, ask to meet with them for 15mins of their time.

It is great to have these people on your side.

While my husband and I are booked for many weddings this year, three of them were booked with the high recommendation of a large hotel chain in our city. We have booked a few next year b/c of this particular establishment.

I would definitely approach one, maybe two florists, and ask them to network with you. Most brides book church, venue, photographer, and then florist. You don�t want to sound desperate � them �helping� you. That�s why �networking� is a good idea.

And, fake it until you make it� So when you go into a reputable florist shoppe, I would approach the OWNER, by saying, �Hi, I�m so and so, of (Your Business Name). Many brides are approaching me during our initial meetings, asking for florist referrals. I was wondering if you might give me a few of your cards, brochures, etc. and perhaps you might take some of mine?�

Also, be sure to actually frequent the shoppe as a patron. I go in for fresh cut bouquets, relaying to the florist that clients are coming over, or that I need a small bouquet of Gerbs for a maternity portrait. This gets you far. My florist, and friend, now helps me decorate my booth at the bridal fair.

I hope this helps, and good luck to you!

Katie