How to use Visoflex II on M7?

samir

I have used the Viso II extensively but do not know if there might be some interference on the M7. The Viso II doesn't have the rotating lock as does the Viso III. It is necessary to rotate the mirror box by matching the red dot on the Viso with that on the bayonet ring and then rotating the Viso in a clockwise direction until the lock snaps into place. Since the M7 is slightly taller than the M6 and other previous M's it is conceivable that the magnifying prism will not fit. The Viso III was made with extra height to accommodate the added height of the M5, and the rotating lock was adopted so that the entire assembly could be mounted without removing the magnifier.

It is basically designed for lenses 65mm and longer. However, Leitz once provided short focal length lenses specifically formulated for macro work. I had one once for a short time, believe it was a 42mm Macro Summar. I preferred the BOOWU and BEHOO for macro work, using the standard 50/3.5 Elmar.

It can be used both for macro and telephoto work. Leitz supplied lenses as long a 560mm. I'm not sure if the 800 was available in Visoflex mount.

A lot of shorter fast lenses are really not corrected to work well at extreme short distances so you might not get the sharpest possible photos with your 35 and 50mm lenses. The late model (black finish) 65mm f/3.5 Elmar is a superb lens for macro work. At one time Leitz offered a series of Macro Summars just for extreme macro photography. Similar extreme macro lens series were offered by Zeiss, Nikon, and others, and usually have the same standard thread mount as microscope objectives. Obviously adapters to fit them to the Visoflex were available.

Samir und Harry und Raid,

Don't try to make an M Leica into an SLR. It ends up in an exercise

in futility. I once had a Viso III with every bloody adapter und

bellows for it. After I tried a friend's Nikon F2, I gave up. Sold

all my M macro stuff. Kept all the M RF stuff. I learned not to try

to turn a cat into a dog. (Nothing derogatory implied. I have and

like cats and dogs)

If ya gotta stick with the Leica line, find a good R6.2 mit bellows

und other closeup stuff. If ya wanna use long lenses, look at Doug

Herr's stuff. He uses older Leica Reflex cameras, very successfully.

Jerry

You can't, due to the fact that both the M7 and the M6 TTL are slightly taller than the other M's to accomodate for TTL metering, and thus there's not enough height for the magnifying prism be mounted. It can be used though to all the other M's (barring the M5)with an LTM to M adapter.

Samir: This has been discussed previously. The Viso II will fit on an M6TTL and presumeably the M7. You MUST use the finder from the Viso III. The Viso II one has a step on the underside and will not clear the top plate on the TTL and M7. The Viso III finder does not have a step and will clear on the TTL and M7. Either finder will work on either Viso. The 35 and 50 will work on the Viso. The 35 will give you a ratio of 1.2:1 and a field size of 2cm x 3cm at a distance of 14 cm from subject to film plane. The 50 gives you 1:2.5 with a field of 6cm x 9cm at 31 cm from the film plane to the subject. They have a very narrow working range on the bellows. You must roll in a correction factor for exposure which your M7 should be capable of.

Cheers.

I have one or another of the Visoflexes for over fifty years with no particular difficulty. I never missed an instant return mirror even with telephoto lenses. The same goes for stop down metering through the viso with the M6. Obviously it is not quite as convenient as an SLR and its dedicated appurtenances, but for the limited amount of such work the Viso's have done me quite well. There are even some situations whereby I feel the old Visoflex I is more suited. Now, if I were to specialize in wildlife work I am sure I could put a SLR to good use, but for the limited times I have reason to resort to its special uses the added investment in SLR paraphernalia would not be justified.<div>00BXKJ-22405584.jpg.1e7fb492c54bf012029ac1341b1dc42d.jpg</div>

Thanks...so I understand can t use it on my M7. The the shutter release really prevent to match the red dots. Then I tried to put my current 35mm ASPH into the viso and it would not work either! Strange...

The shutter release should not be an impediment. All you have to do is pull out on it and turn it out of the way, then when the installation is complete, flip it back into position over the camera's shutter release. The regular 35mm and 50mm lenses will not fit the Viso unless a dedicated adaptor is employed and then will not focus to infinity.

Samir & Harry: The attached picture shows a Viso III mounted on an M6 classic. The 16499 finder does not have a step like the OTXBO/16460 finder. The 35 and 50 will mount directly onto the viso without an adapter as shown.

Cheers.<div>00BY3G-22423084.jpg.f1e352684280638476bde13ce2a20782.jpg</div>