Coll. 50 'cron VS 50/2 Nikkor

jason_b.

I'm guessing the Nikon would have higher contrast. Starting with that lens, the 3rd

generation Cron and probably others, manufacturers shifted their optical designs from

high resolution / med contrast to high contrast formulas.

feli

I have both, the Nikkor has noticeably more contrast but isn't quite as sharp wide open.

There isn't all that much difference, though. The Summicron bokeh is better, the Nikkor

flares

less, especially comparing the two without a hood. The f2 Nikkor doesn't seem to be as

sharp as the 1.4, but I haven't had time for a comparison test. The f2 is much smaller than

the 1.4, and a good fit on an LTM camera. Focus throw is pretty much the same, but the

Nikkor focuses down to 2 feet. It's not rangefinder-coupled below 1 meter.

My collapsible Summicron uses approximately 1/2 rotation from infinity to closest focus (approximtely one meter). My 1.4 Nikkor focuses through a little more than 1/4 rotation - to the "hump". It is interesting that it will couple to the rangefinder after the hump, down to about 27". I do not know if this obtains with other M bodies, or even other M6's for that matter.

Both the Nikkor 50/2 & 50/1.4 had an extended close up range that was not intended to couple with the range finder. At the close-up end of the focusing range there was a detent, often called the 'hump' which required a minor amount of effort to push past. Beyond that spot the lens was not intended to couple to the rangefinder but to be scale focused. I have discovered that the cam follower in my M6 has additional forward travel which will track the focus of this lens down to about 27", yielding additional close up capability. I do not know if other camera bodies have this capability but I would expect that other M6's have it. <p> I have examined the interior of the focusing mounts for the Summar, Collapsible Summicron, and the first version of the Rigid Summicron; and it appears to me that it is possible to grind or machine the detent to allow additional rotation of the mount and achieve closer focusing. I have heard also that one or more of the Leica service enterprises have offered this modification in the past.

Thanks Harry for the explanation. I appreciate it! So, this feature was just for the Leica and or Canon cameras. My Nikkor for the Nikon rangefinder doesn't have this capability, I wish it had but as you know, the focusing ring is part of the camera and therefore, no hump- Boo-Hoo!

The f2 Nikkor was launched in 1951 and the DR Summicron in 1956; perhaps, the idea came from the Nikkor. The DR Summicron goes down to 19 inches (0.49 metre)with the help of a variable tube + the goggle to focus at close up distances. The DR glass formula is the same for the 1953 collapsible as well as the rigid Summicron of 1956.