Canon Lens Hood

wheelie52

The late Canon 50 1.4 LTM is a super lens. It is worth the effort and expense to get a hood. As the front element is large and not recessed in the lens mount I use a Canon UV filter for protection and screw the hood into it. I've used the 1.4 Canon since the late 70's with great results, the only problem is the aluminum mount has worn to the point where it is noticeable. Not as sturdy a lens as the 1.4 Summilux but I like the results better. Great lens on the IIIg and even nicer to use on an M body with the LTM/bayonet adapter. Hope you really like it

Frederick, I neglected to mention that my Lux is version 1. I've only shot one roll each of color print and Extachrome in direct comparison with a UV filter and lens hood in place. Stopped down, on prints no larger than 8 X 10 I could see very little difference. On projected slides, the Canon seemed to have a bit more contrast and appeared a bit warmer than the Lux. Wide open on print/slide, I couldn't see any noticable difference. Both are great 50 lenses. My marked prefernce for the Canon, the images being equal, is based on handling. The large barrel and deeper focusing ridges on the Canon make it much easier to focus, especially on the M4-2 when using a Rapidwinder. Using the Canon on the IIIg with Leicavit is a nicely balanced setup. My Lux is not the ultra rare LTM Lux, so a IIIg usage comparison isn't possible. Perhaps someone out on the forum has used both lenses extensively and can add more to this post.