Leica IIIf bd or rd?

jeff voorhees

Guy,

He cannot look at the camera.

Jeff,

I tried the serials at Cameraquest and apparently the first batch with self timer, which I believe was also the first with red dial, starts with 685001. Please don't take my comment at face value unless anyone else can substantiate it.

BTW, I have a IIc or IIIc that was factory converted to IIIf/ST and has a black dial so that is kind of erratic. It has, of course, a much earlier number.

According to my notes, which I have referred to several times because this question arises quite often, the Red Dial Leicas begin with Serial Number 611000. As was mentioned earlier, the shutter speeds also change to 1/25, etc at this point. I have one, SN 636xxx, on which the synch settings appear to be black, but were probably red at one time.

Thank you everyone.

I bought a IIIf from B&H in New York yesterday, but the photo was just a generic image. When I called, Rick the sales guy couldn't have been nicer with his description. All in all it sounds like a very nice user camera. The one question I forgot to ask was whether the camera was a BD or RD. Just wanted to satisify my curiosity.