Is there a 6x6 camera with a fixed *wide angle* lens?

rondal

All 120 roll film 6x6 cameras <u>with fixed lenses</u> that I've heard

of so far have "normal" length lenses in the general neighborhood of

75mm. Is anyone familiar with a 6x6cm-equivalent to the Brooks-Plaubel

Veriwide 100 or the Minolta Auto-Wide? (It needn't even have a

rangefinder or a light meter!)

Why a fixed lens? Size. I was looking for affordable alternatives to the Mamiya 6 rangefinder in <a href="http://www.photo.net/shared/community-member?user_id=663396">another posting</a>, and someone suggested that, since there are really no affordable alternatives for an interchangable lens system 6x6 camera that's as compact as the Mamiya 6, I'd be better off with two fixed-lens 6x6 cameras (such as folder cameras); one with a "normal" lens and one with a wide angle lens. I already found one with a normal lens, so now all I need is the wide angle version.<p>The Rollei and Hasselblad models suggested above are way over my price range, since the entire point of getting this camera was to avoid shelling out $1500 for the Mamiya 6 with lenses. I guess I should have mentioned that.

Danny Wong wrote "Baby graphic 23 with 47 super angulon"

Hmm. "Baby Graphic" is usually applied to the Miniature Speed Graphic. A 47 SA won't focus to infinity on a Mini. It is also applied to the 2x3 Pacemaker Speed Graphic. Same problem there. The shortest lens I've seen used on a 2x3 Speed is a 1.75"/2.8 (yes, 44 mm) Elcan. Don't know if a 35/4.5 ApoGrandagon will work on one.

I use a 47/5.6 SA on a Century Graphic (= cheaper plastic-bodied version of the 2x3 Crown Graphic), and it works very well on that camera. I don't have one, but the above mentioned 35 ApoGrandy will work on a Century/2x3 Crown. Covers nominal 6x9, too. Ronnie, if you want wiiiide and have the money, get one and a body to hold it.

All of these cameras accept nominal 6x6, 6x7, and 6x9 backs, their RFs, if present, won't work with a 47, and they aren't fixed-lens. Not, I think, what Ronnie is asking about. Perhaps what he/she/it should want, though.

A propos of the SWC, Photographic Systems, of Albuquerque, NM, has been offering a thin Graflex XL with 38/4.5 Biogon, 6x6 back, and finder for rather less than a used SWC. The lens comes off, other lenses can be used on the body. Too expensive for me, but then I have a Century and a 38 Biogon in Copal 0. The lens works well on the Century, doesn't cover 6x9 but that's what I shoot it on anyway. Who needs corners? Or an Alpa 12, for that matter?

Cheers,

Dan

Man, the prices being thrown around here would've kept me away from MF.

The first rollei I ever saw was in a box in my neighbor's garage. There's gotta

be a few more out there. 75mm xenar, so sharp it's psychedelic. I thing that

equates to about 45mm. If the price is right and you still want 35mm lens, take

a few steps backward before pushing the button.

I own a $1000 Graflex XLW camera with a fixed wide angle lens, the Schneider 47mm/8. The Graflex allows interchangeable backs, ranging from 6x6 to 6x9. It's a light camera with a super lens. The Veriwide is more expensive since it is made by a fancy maker in addition to giving a slightly larger image on film than the XLW.

For a budget of 1500 (value lost) USD you should be able to get an old Superwide with a magazine. Age does not matter if your budget is limited. Of course, buy as new as you can. Buy even a brand new 905 for the rest of your life if you can. All Superwides, not depending on age, are usable. If it was able to make brilliant results in the 50's, it still is.

Kerkko K.

I was in a similar situation when i wanted to complete my beloved TLRs 6x6.

The late Mamiya 6 is the best wide/normal combo (in my opinion) but it does not come cheap. I settled for a Fuji GS645W , a manual focus 45mm F5.6 fixed lens. It is light (less than 2 pounds) and compact enough to carry with another camera.

I would have prefer a 6x6 but it is a great camera, the best value in wide medium format (28mm lens equivalent in 35mm film)