M8 picture fake? How does it wind?

I've noticed a lot of consternation over on www.rangefinderforum.com about the

M8 photos and whether or not they're real or not. Many are saying that it was

pieced together from a DMR back and stock photos.

I don't have an opinion on the "fakeness" per-say, but I want to know why there

isn't a wind lever on the body? Is there an assumption that the body is

motorized? I haven't seen that discussed anywhere.

And I'd actually be surprised to see Leica introduce an M body that was

motor-only...but I could be proven wrong there.

Skip

Skip - you may not have seen it, but Leica has been saying the M8 would use the R9

vertical shutter with motorized cocking of the shutter for about 9 months now (one of the

few bits of info they HAVE officially confirmed). No assumption needed.

One leak I saw (can't stand behind it) says a rubber friction wheel is used in place of one

gear in the motor train to reduce "whine" and keep the shutter cocking "M-silent".

And I've seen multiple postings quoting people who have handled the camera and say it is,

in fact, rangefinder-quiet. And none saying "Ooouh! It's LOUD!"

Don't fully understand the fixation with a wind lever per se. On a purely mechanical battery

free film camera (MP), it's a reasonable necessity. On the Epson it kinda made sense

because Cosina doesn't make motors for any of its cameras (even external ones).

I had issues with the Contax G and Konica RF cameras - but lack of a thumbwind/rewind

crank was not on the lists.

The guy's been a member of phot.net since 1999. Why not give him the benefit of the doubt? Perhaps by "wind" he meant "cock the shutter" since, in modern focal-plane shutter film cameras, winding the film and cocking the shutter is usually accomplished by the same operation.

>Nothing is quieter than a Copal shutter - except for perhaps a pinhole camera.

Try convincing the Faithful about the Bessa R's and the Zeiss Ikon which all sport the Copal. (And I wonder why a digital P&S like my F30 doesn't make a sound when taking pics.)

Marsad:

Full announcement of specs and features (with pix) Sept. 15

"Official" coming-out party at PhotoKina - Sept. 26 to Oct. 1 (along with a ton of other new

Leica stuff).

First deliveries during October sometime, at least in the U.S. Exact schedule likely to be

firmed up after the announcement.

Andy - Thanks for the heads-up. I don't follow all the M8 news with bated breath, so I hadn't seen the announcement that they were planning on useing the R9 shutter unit. And I'm still surprised that they've caved in to 21st century realities and are contemplating a motorized camera.

My other comment about the fake picture was an echo from a couple of threads on the rfforum, and not my opinion.

Johnathan - Thanks for sticking up for me. As you stated, I've been here far longer than most of the posters, but waft in and out as my spare time dictates. This forum (and others' Leica like the LUG) has undergone many ups and downs over the years, ranging from nasty to apathetic to useless. I hope this isn't a trend downwards. Does anybody remember Jay? :-o

Vivik - That was uncalled for. I don't spend my life dwelling on every minutia about new Leica models and I missed that motor-vs-wind-lever thread. I acutally spent a little time looking for such info before posting the question, but didn't find anything obvious. Please think twice before you post such a snippy remark.

"Externally, the M8 looks almost identical to the M7 but for the lack of a couple of the top mounted controls and the LCD screen on the back."

Are you breaching an NDA or stating speculation in the form of a fact?

"Read this."

Thanks but no thanks. I clicked on enough of your links to your website in the past only to find examples of your personal rumour-mongering. That, posting numerous teasers to attract people from this site to yours, and your scheme offer a lens-coding service undercutting Leica's prices, although you know nothing of how the coding is programmed, doesn't speak well of your ethics sir.

Of the two of us you appear the one who is envious and angry. You have been using photo.net repeatedly to increase the worth of your own competitive site by increasing the number of hits. You have started false rumours regarding the M8 claiming that you have access to insider information at Leica. Those are the facts borne out in many posts, and not allegations based on some suspicion of mine. Your vitriolic response goes to show you are well aware of your actions.