Jupiter 9 or...

Hello All,

I have an early Kiev 4a (1959) with jupiter 8. I like the 85mm focal

lenth to shoot lowlight performance in jazz clubs & theater. Will

the Jupiter-9 be sharp at f2 or should I pay more for one of the

Zeiss 85's or even a Nikkor 85. Or is a Sonnar a Sonnar?

Thanks,

All the lenses you mention are copies of the Zeiss Sonnar 85mm.

Difference between the Zeiss and Nikon lenses are probably negligable. The Jupiter can be just as good with a little luck in the Quality Control Department.

It all depends or you budget there is a significant price difference between the Jupiter and the other lenses.

One additional note: the Nikon RF mount is different from the Contax RF mount! Make sure you get a Nikkor with a "C" engraved on the lens barrel otherwise you will never get an accurate focus!

Marco Vera , mar 18, 2005; 12:19 p.m. wrote:

"All the lenses you mention are copies of the Zeiss Sonnar 85mm. Difference between the Zeiss and Nikon lenses are probably negligable."

Small correction: actually the Nikkor 85mm f2 is a Sonnar-like design, with only one element in the rear group. The Zeiss Sonnar (and the Jupiter copy) have a cemented triplet in the rear group.

I use a screw mount Nikkor, and it is fantastic, even wide open. I've struggled with several Jupiter 9's but never had one that focussed properly. The best of the bunch, though, is the Zeiss Sonnar for the Contarex, which has a similar optical design to the rangefinder Sonnar.

Cheers,

David

Hello,

I have tested the 2/85mm Sonnar typs with my KIEV and Contax IIa cameras.

The 2/85mm typs are a Zeiss 2/85mm West-Germany, Carl Zeiss Jena 2/8,5cm East-Germany, and a russian Jupiter 9.

All 2/85 Sonnar typs are great performer lenses, but with a littel difference.

For lens resolution and contrasty the Carl Zeiss Jena lens is the winner.

The second is the Jupiter 9.

The third ist the Zeiss from West-Germany.

The difference is very small, but this tested lenses have more differences and the are don't small.

Is not a question the West-Germany lens is an absolut winner in

mechanical quality, and included 2 layer of apperture blades only

of this 2/85 lenses. The high class mechanical condition contribute don't a smooth distance operation like the Sonnar from East-Germany, but the West-Germany lens come in heavy brass and the East Germany lens in light metal lens body.Is an difference too for chromed the brass body for the West-Germany lens can chromed in high class and looked very well.

The Jupiter 9 lens have a aluminium body, and first J-9 lens body is protected with a layer of schellack that in running times received a yellowish shinning.

The Jupiter 9 lenses and body are identical with the pre-war Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar lens body. The J-9 in lens operation and handling my absolut favorit.

Please note Jupiter 9 lenses are don't Sonnar copys.

The are produced in first time with genuine Zeiss machines that taked in the UdSSR for WW II reparation cost of Germany.

A testing with a Nikon 2/85 lens are don't fair.The Nikon rangefinder lens included a different bajonett like the Contax or KIEV rangefinder.

For a KIEV camera a Jupiter-9 can included different qualitys.

Please look on the lens mark of sign logo= Krasnokorsk, Lythkarinov,

KMZ. A J-9 before 1960 is a safeway for received a good lens, but

later time Lythkarinov J-9 great performer in quality too.

Oooh ! Not by the way the J-9 is with open 2,0 apperture very sharp.

Good luck

peter

I guess I have been lucky, I have a j9 in both contax and ltm, both are great, focus where they are supposed to. They both are sharp wide open. I may be wrong, but I don't think the Kiev mounts have all the same foscusing problems that the ltm is noted for as the focusing mount is simpler. I think if you get a good one you will be happy. Buy from someone reputable.