however, I am not sure if I know what all the necessary things are that I'll

need. First, I'll need the second flash. Next, a light stand--I was looking

at some Bogen stands from BH. Then some kind of umbrella bracket to attach to

the light stand so I can attach the flash to it. Now here comes the part I'm

not clear about: some sort of slave to put on the flash mounted to light

stand. Is it the Vivitar SL-2 slave I'll need to use the flash mounted on the

light stand? Does it have to be a Vivitar 285HV on the light stand to be able

to use the Vivitar SL-2 slave or is it compatible with whatever flash is on

the slave? Is this the easiest way to do this or is there an easier way?

Also, I'd much rather pick up a new second flash, but the 285 is no longer

available. Can anyone make any recommendations for an equivalent unit in the

same price range that would work in the configuration I'm describing? Am I

leaving out any necessary cords that I haven't contemplated or can this be

done wirelessly? I'd appreciate any guidance and help with this set up.

Thanks in advance.

Stand and stand adapter is dependent on how high you need your lights to go and whether you need an umbrella mount and how much you need the tilt capability. Best to look at B&H's site and figure it out. You don't NEED the SL-2 to trigger a Vivitar 285. In fact the Wein Peanut is pretty good and plugs directly into the Vivitar. B&H even has the digital models. The SL-2 can work with other flashes that have a PC cord. I'd get a 285 used, but look at the Sunpak 383 for something equivalent. One advantage it has over the 285 is that the head swivels. If you get the Peanut, you don't need a cord. If you get the SL-2, you will need the PC cord. Both are optical slave units (no wires). You do know that these optical slaves will react to any flash, so other's flashes will trigger your lights. Proprietary slave systems are a lot more expensive unless you get the cheap e-bay ones, which have their own problems. Also, Wein makes other optical slaves that have more range, but they don't have the capability of plugging directly into the Vivitar--you'll need the PC cord.

Gerry-- Thanks for the suggestion about the Stroboframe. I plan on getting a Camera flip with a shoe mount and cork base pad, as well as an anti-twist plate for the ETR because I have a Bronica ETRS. I also plan on using my Nikon F2 with this bracket, but I don't know if I need an anti-twist bracket for it, if there is one available or if it's necessary. The ETRS is rather large,and wide with the speed winder on it so I feel it would be advantageous to get the anti-twist plate. I looked up Wein peanuts and I'll pick one of them up as well. Thanks again.

Roy: Thanks for the reference to Strobist--lots of valuable info to look at and learn from.

Nadine: Thanks for all the suggestions. I now have a clue how to go about this whole thing. In terms of stands I plan on getting a Bogen 3333 9' light stand, and an Impact umbrella bracket with a swivel mount and flash shoe. A question about this Impact umbrella bracket flash shoe--Can I put the Vivitar 285HV directly in the shoe or will it fry against metal? I read somewhere in another forum that you had to cover the bottom of the flash shoe with electrical tape. In terms of flashes I'm going to aim for another 285HV used from KEH. As I mentioned earlier to Gerry I am going to buy a Stroboframe camera flip since I'm going to be using a Bronica ETRS and a Nikon F2 for the flash pics.

A question about the Stroboframe bracket: When connecting the 285 to the bracket how do I connect the flash to either camera? Do I need a special sync cord, or any sync cord at all? I bought the off camera cord for the 285 that takes the THyristor out of the flash and puts it in the hotshoe, but I don't think that would help. It would defeat the purpose of getting the flash straight above the camera. Am I wrong?

A question about Wein peanut slaves: Buy the standard one or the Ultra one which could be used further away and outside with ambient light? I'm tending towards the Ultra in case I want to use this set up outside. I know you said the Vivitar slave SL-2 takes a sync cord, but Does it also work without one? I'm unsure about it. Would the the vivitar slave make more sense when considering placement of the 285 in the IMpact bracket flash shoe and avoid direct contact with metal instead of using the Wein peanut? By the way I hope the Peanut comes with instructions because I can't figure out where to attach it!

Well I hope I haven't overlooked anything. I appreciate you taking the time to explain these things to me as I hope to experiment a little bit with flash lighting---now the next thing I'll need is a light/flash meter! I'll try trial and error for a while. It never ends with this hobby! Thanks again.