Most reliable way to send KR25 to Dwayne's

OK, I have 12 rollls of KR25 left. I know it goes to Dwayne's. What's the most reliable (like

not getting lost in transit) way to get it there? Wal-Mart - probably most convenient, but

I'd like some feedback on someone who has used them - any problems with the slides

getting lost and/or do they actually know enough not to send it for E-6 processing.

Second option - using Kodak mailers from B & H - $4.99, they should know enough to

send it to Dwayne's. But how is their tracking record/system?

Option #3 - wait until I have all 12 rolls exposed, then Fed-Ex to Dwayne's. Probably the

most expensive route and I'll probably have to re-refrigerate some of the exposed rolls

while I wait to have the others shot. It may be two months or so.

Go to a real non-chain store that still offers Kodak processing. Where the Kodak courier comes and picks up and delivers processing everyday. With the yellow envelopes, that say Kodak or Kodalux or Qualex or whatever they call it this month. That path is reliable, Kodak's reputation depends on it. The good retailers offering it keep good records. I go to a local camera store when I want Kodak processing, they even give a nice discount.

Also, you don't have to go FedEx to get completely tracked shipping. USPS Registered Mail is absolutely tracked, every handoff from person to person is signed for. This is how you ship negotiable securities -- FedEx does NOT want to handle those.

Wal-Mart has got a foolproof computerized tracking system for all items in their inventory. That's how they came to be so dominant in retailing in the first place. I can't see why they won't track your film also. I always send my Kodachrome through Wal-Mart. I write on the outside of the envelope "Kodachrome, K-14 process". I get it back in a week (often less, like 5 days), and a 36 exposure roll costs about $5.00 to process. I'm in Syracuse, NY., in case you're wondering how close I am to Dwayne's in Kansas.

Just make sure it doesn't arrive on a day like April 6th. I sent in two rolls to Dwayne's via Wal-Mart. They arrived on April 6th, 2004. First roll came back in 9 or so days, but the other took around two weeks. First roll had the dreaded "magenta splotches" on maybe 10 frames in the middle of the roll. Didn't get any notice of a screw-up, free film or processing. I had seen this problem before, especially with the Qualex Lerner Lab in Minneapolis. That time it repeated itself over many frames of many rolls!

I inquired about the other roll twice and got the "pimply kid" answer of it takes two weeks, check back later. I didn't have to check back as the manager called me and told me they screwed it up. Free roll of film and no charge processing. Roll wasn't that bad, but in places, the base was scratched all along one edge (8 frames max). Emulsion was OK. Then in a few other places, the emulsion was scratched off while wet and deposited nearby on maybe no more than 5 frames.

I am in the process of writing the Dwayne's manager Grant Steinle (son of owner Dwayne Steinle) with my complaint. Things happen and even a slight problem with these two rolls sure beats Fair Lawn any day!

I haven't had any problem with rolls getting processed in E-6 or C-41. I just make sure they are in plastic cans, sealed with masking tape and K-14 written in red on the tape. I believe that once they leave the store, it's Fuji that is responsible for getting them to Dwayne's and back. They do leave the store in a big white van labeled "Fujicolor Processing."

Robert Johnson

After reading my post in a more leisurely manner I note there may be some confusion. I received the PROCESSED slides on Wednesday.

Another item to note. If all you're paying is $5.00 at Wally's/B&H for processing expect to get what you pay for. The current direct rate is around $8.00 plus approximately $4.00 for return mailing. Well worth the cost considering you now have a box of slides that are in a proven archival storage format, not some yet unproven E6 form. Smile.

Going direct gets you a personal phone call and a nice chat from a pleasant person, if you forget to slip the check in with your film.<div>00BxNL-23067184.jpg.8586f6acd7052ec3b65df2cd2a521648.jpg</div>

John,

Yes, but I'm fairly sure you get the same black "coffin" plastic box and the same generic plastic mount that says's "Color Transparency/This Side Towards Screen."

Whenever the USPS (known to my frineds as the Post Awful Service) is brought into the equation - LOOK OUT! I have received anything from 2 day up to 2 week return from A&I in Los Angeles. It was harder to prove return times with Qualex, Fuji, etc., because of a mostly missing postmark.

Robert Johnson

Robert ....... anything that goes or comes from LA (a "zoo")has to be at risk. Smile. Dwayne's and his magic lab is in "Oz" (Kansas).

Any delivery system has risks. I believe there is a larger risk giving your film to Wally's team than to the US Mail team IMHO.

I understand the unmarked black boxes used to return slides were picked to avoid detection by the anti-film cops. Smile.

In this part of the USA, OSCO Drugstores have begun stocking Kodachrome64, Elite Chrome films and Kodak's negative films, in the best selection in town. Also they are offering Kodak Perfect Touch processing on all three types of film. Because they are concentrating on selling the film, and the out-of-town processing, they have a vested interest in the shipping being handled correctly.

First, they have minimized clerical error by providing a touch-screen computer with which YOU prepare the shipping label. Then, YOU attach the label to a shipping envelope, YOU place the film canister into the envelope, YOU seal the envelope, and YOU tear off the receipt. Then You hand the sealed envelope to the clerk for them to place in the outgoing bag.

At home with the receipt, YOU dial up www.kodak.com for order tracing. Using the store,s ID-number and the envelope's ID-number from the receipt, YOU will be able to determine when the film processing stsrts at Dwaynes. Later, YOU will be able to see the day of return shipment to your store.

The slides will return in the expected Kodak yellow box, with the slides numbered and dated, in white cardboard mounts.

Last night, I picked up a processed box of 24 @ $4.99 + tax. A 24 exposure replacement roll of K64 was $ 5.99 + tax. ($00.4575/slide.

OSCO Drug's holding company may use a different name in your area, so look for a chain that has a house brand of "Savon".

I had to change processors because the prior place changed their supplier. I tried the new supplier once, but their work was not satisfactory. Last night's roll was my third with OSCO, the first was E6, and the second was C41. All three shipped without a glitch, and the results were excellent.

So Gene, give OSCO a try with one of your rolls of K25.