Film recommendations for Washington D.C. trip, March 2005

They allowed me a tripod inside some of the monument sites (I can remember Lincoln, Senate, Space Museum near Mall), in front of White House at night, but for no more than 10minutes or so. They allowed flash at the "Unknown Soldier" site (guards wear sun glasses not because of sun but because of flashes I believe), but no photo during the actual guard change, seems they have the right to use force on you if you don't follow orders. No picture taking allowed around Pentagon.

Some of the monuments are more like, how to say, very impressive - I often felt taking pictures was little appropriate.

Film? I used Provia 35mm.

I wonder what film did the AP photographer use for the Iwo Jima scene, that must have been a very lucky film :-)

While the light in DC won't be as harsh in March as in the summer, the lighting contrast on some of the monuments can be strong. They are deeply scuplted. Bracket, for sure. Maybe even have some C-41 portrait film handy for them. (The short rolls for 120 can be a plus...)

If you're lucky enough to have the Cherry Blossoms blossom while you're there, use a film with a natural palette for them, as the color is (and should be) very delicate. Say Kodak E100GX, or a similar Fuji film. They would look ghastly on a vivid saturation film.

I disagree with John about the cherry blossoms: I'd shoot them with Fuji's Velvia 50, or even the new Fortia (if you can get your hands around a roll): Some people (myself included) like flora with a bit of punch in the colors **when projected**

On the other hand, if you're shooting slide film to scan for printing, then use Kodak E100-G or Fuji Astia, since they are neutral and fine grained; then adjust saturation in Photoshop.

In regard to the film to use when shooting the Japanese cherry blossems in DC, this post about the Japanese magazine article describing Fortia is interesting:

Subject: Fuji Fortia SP Recommendation

"One other thing to note about Fortia SP is that it doesn't render whites with that infamous Velvia 50 magenta color cast. This was noticable in the sample photos in the Japanese magazine.

"Fortia SP looks like it will be especially good for flower shots. Even with overcast skies, the green response seems quite good. Indeed it's being promoted as the film to use for cherry blossom photography this spring..."

Being a resident of D.C. you are likely to have two kinds of lighting in March:

- Brilliant sunshine

- Total overcast

I'd bring a few rolls each of 400 speed and 100 speed slide film - assuming you are shooting without a tripod. I'd recommend Provia 400F, Ektachrome 100G, Provia 100F, or even Velvia 100F (haven't tried the last of these). If you are going to include folks in your pictures as subject matter - don't use the Velvia.

Consider bringing a warming filter (81A or 81B) if you use the Fuji.

If you are using a tripod - Velvia 100F and Ektachrome 100G are all you need as you still should be able to keep outside of the reciprocity regions.