Old Hong Kong

eimages

Hi everyone on the forum. I have a few days in Hong Kong and wanted

to photograph areas of Hong Kong that still have the 1940s and older

look. I left HK in 1969, and now there seems to be no historical

districts anymore. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Alex

When I was there last year, I couldnt remember seeing much old stuff, it seems they have been tearing stuff down and building over it. My family gave me a book which had pictures from the 40's (where my grandfather had a watch store in Causway Bay area)...absolutely nothing looks even remotely similar.

I could be wrong, I hope someone can indeed find sections, but I think the only things u might find from that era are the temples and a few random buildings :D

Nick<div>00Bxcr-23074084.jpg.40448c2e13ab4d75d7dbd6400e9e49b3.jpg</div>

Alex, take the ferry over to Lantau Island for a day...and visit the Fai O or Tai O Village (I forgot the spelling), boat & fishing people, Po Lin Monastry (Giant Buddah) and other interesting places. Full day needed to take it all in. For other ideas the discoverhongkong.com web site is a really good start. Check out their heritage tours and do them on your own... Good Luck

Any hope of old HK building for me was destoryed when the old HSBC building was torn down for the new one. Something like that would have never happend in Western Europe or North America.

I made a trip back in March 97 just to see if there was any memories of my childhood to be preserve photographically before any handover changes and there was none. (Alex: my family left about the same time as yours and probably for the same reason). My dad worked at the dockyard and sometime we go there to play - gone. Could not reconize the old "hood". Victoria Park does not look the same. Uncles' shops in Causeway Bay and Upper West Central district are all gone. More than half of the harbour is filled in (why build so many tunnels, just fill in the harbour all the way.

However, due to occidental wisdom of John, the last remain is the southwest fishing port of Tai O on Lantoa Island and the market area of Cheung Chow Island. These villages and island were relatively isolated so some of our heritage was preserved. Better visit Tai O soon before the next airport/freight facility expansion overruns it.

The new territories looks just like Kowloon with all the highrises and highspeed trains. The only positive memory I have without going to the out islands is the Star Ferry ride.

Go soon, Alex. Seems like the word of the day is progress into the future and not preservation of the past.

You might want to visit Tai kok Tsui in Kowloon. Get off at Mongkok MTR station and walk for ten minutes north westerly.

I live in Tai O and you are welcome to visit me if you come over to the island. My email is jerry_sousa@yahoo.com.

Have a good trip.

Not sure if you've left already... If you can drive near Tai Po (spelling??), near the border I believe, there are some beautiful natural spots.As far as "old city" style you could always cross to Macau (not HK, but the architecture is gorgeous). This shot is from Macau..

• 3 weeks later...

even tho u returned already, but like other posters mentioned, the web sites provided excellent self-guided tours that you can take that reflects hk's history. i particularly like the ancestral hall's in new terrorities. this of course coming from a person who live in modern hk most of my life and have less exposure to really traditional chinese customs and culture. its fantastic photo-op too.

you should still find sporadic old store fronts, etc in 'sheung wan' or 'western district'.

i live in san francisco now but i was in hk was an extended period of time last year so i get to escape from modern hk for a little bit.