Hasselblad closing UK Service Centre?

david_craig1

David,<br>

officially, all what we have is the statement of <a href="http://www.hasselblad.se/news/newsItem.asp?secId=224&itemId=3449&ref=m">Christian Poulsen, Hasselblad's CEO </a> in november, 2004.<br>

I guess that the Hasselblad staff is not going to boast themselves about these redeployment decisions. That's why you'll not find other informations in the UK website news or elsewhere.<p>

As I wrote on the thread you quote, the decision to close the french agency, Hasselblad France SA, 5, passage Piver in Paris has already been taken, and the dismiss letters probably already sent to the french employees.<br>

Hasselblad will maybe establish a kind of agreement and a direct collaboration with local retailers.<br>

Regarding the repair services, I do not know what will stay in the different European countries and what will be re-concentrated at Göteborg in Sweden.<br>

I don't know what will happen in the future, I only write what I heard or learned here in France. But there will probably be no difference between France and UK.<br>

You know its these kind of thing that get me less inclined to stay with the brand. Read me right, I am happy owner and user of Hassies. They have always been premium priced, but they have quality and service to match. Now take away the service. it really make no sense for me to pay them those over-inflated retail price.

What have happen to those guys. High end equipment is never cheap, but that price should reflect the commitment of the Mfr to the market and the customer. Hasselblad look like they just want your money and forget about the rest ....

Franka,<br><br>While i too deplore the cut backs, the reduction in service, shrinking of the company, i think you're missing one thing.<br>Not only is high end equipment never cheap, running a company devoted to producing high end goods and providing high end service is never cheap either.<br>The commitment to the customer should be matched by a commitment by the customer to the company. When almost noone is putting money towards Hasselblad cameras anymore, how can we expect the few customers that still do to keep the entire service infrastructure up and running?<br>While i do feel the company takes a large part of the blame for the predicament they are curently in, the changes in the market of recent years, nobody buying their products anymore, has really left them in a bad place.<br><br>So i think that what we are seeing now is a last ditch attempt to keep Hasselblad alive. Should they not do what they do, we can all (customers and company alike) forget about the entire Hasselblad "phenomenon" very, very soon.<br>

You keep saying the following, but would you mind providing some official basis for your comments or are they personal opinion?

<<<<When almost noone is putting money towards Hasselblad cameras anymore, >>>>

<<< nobody buying their products anymore, has really left them in a bad place.>>>>>>

Mark

There is no money to be made in conventional film cameras any more, the future is digital. The major manufacturers are realizing it and we can expect the market to keep contracting. I'm sure Hasselblad has financial figures to back up their decisions. Eventually, it will becomes a niche market fulfilled by niche manufacturers probably in China in Eastern Europe.

<i>"When almost no one is putting money towards Hasselblad cameras anymore, how can we expect the few customers that still do to keep the entire service infrastructure up and running?"</i><p>

I disagree to some extent with what you say. Here are some other informations which IMO have to be taken into account :<br>

<ol>

<li>I am sure that people who buy used cameras, (Hasselblads or other brand) would never had bought new ones. Too expensive.

<li>The price of new Hasselblad cameras, lenses and accessories is undoubtedly too high, even if people who buy them pay for quality. If people don't buy them anymore (but it seems that people go on buying them), the price is a serious question.<br>

I don't know the US system, but I can say that in the european commercial circuit, there are too many intermediaries between the factory, or the importer, and the "end customer". That's also a reason why prices are so high.<br>

<li>The used photographic equipment circuit is - economically speaking - very important. People who buy used cameras, lenses or accessories also buy new products : films, labo products, papers, and sometimes new lenses or accessories. They also buy scanners and printers.<br>

Don't forget that they also pay sometimes for having their "new used" camera repaired, and for many other repair services.<br>

Generally speaking, they contribute to enliven an economical global activity up.

<li>A professional photographer will probably buy more easily a new camera if he knows that he will sell also easily his used one.<br>

I know that this opportunity is not the only reason to buy a new equipment, but it undoubtedly facilitates the renewal.<br>

And many stores know that they will easily resell a used gear, because they know that a lot of amateurs are willing to buy it.

</ol>

Also consider that several - if not all - factories have always made management errors.<br>

Closing the service centres outside Sweden is maybe another managerial mistake. People in France, Germany or United Kingdom will probably not be happy if they have to send back their camera in Sweden, to pay for shipment and insurance, to wait several weeks for having it repaired and shipped back.<br>

Everybody agree to pay for a good service, (but only for repair), but they also expect a fast service.<br>

If the shipping and insurance fee is as high as the repair fee itself, and if they have to wait for their camera, magazine or lens for several weeks, they will probably find a repair shop in their own country, or maybe sell it and buy another brand.<br>

And such errors may be very expensive for Hasselblad.<br>

• 2 weeks later...

If you are concerned about the situation for servicing Hasselblad equipment in the UK the best course of action would be to ask Hasselblad (UK) Limited. The service department is actually taking on more work as some of the new digital products formerly sold under the Imacon name will now be serviced locally, as will the new Zeiss Ikon camera when it arrives.

Distribution and servicing in other part of Europe will (and has) changed but this does not mean that the equipment cannot be serviced, just that it will be serviced by someone else.

The comment from Stuart Bell that Hasselblad might be dumping spare parts because he was supplied with a light trap set for his A12 magazine free of charge beggars belief! Hasselblad is just providing an excellent service as it always tries to!

Jean-Louis mentions the lack of information about this issue on the UK website... well of course there is nothing there, there is nothing happening to the service facilities in the UK to warrant a comment, actually the service section was updated just a week or two ago.

Yes I do work for Hasselblad, and am very proud to do so. It troubles me that our valued customers may be misled into thinking that there is a problem when a simple phone call or an e-mail to us could put their minds at rest.

Ben Boswell

• 4 years later...
<p>We at J D CamTech have been repairing V system Hasselblad's along with Mamiya RZs & RB equipment for 14 years. Trained by Mamiya and Hasselblad, we have large stocks of parts for all equipment, including older C lenses & 12ON backs. www.JDCamTech.com or + 44 (0) 20 7684 2237. Regards John</p>

• 3 years later...

<p>What was not true in 2005 is now true. However I am pleased to tell you that I have taken over from Hasselblad UK for the servicing of the Hasselblad V system cameras in the UK. I am authorised and endorsed by Hasselblad, I am also a Hasselblad partner. Many of you may have spoken to me over the 38 years I worked for Hasselblad and perhaps I was able to help you then. I would be very pleased to help you again.<br>

Douglas Fairbank<br>

www.classicv.co.uk 02034781764</p>

• 3 years later...

<p>Similar to the service center in the UK service for V series cameras in Germany is now in the hands of Ulf Kühn a long time technician with Hasselblad Germany.</p>

<p>Service for V series is now concentrated in Sweden for as long as it will last.<br>

Lets count our blessings, Hasselblad still supplies parts for the last generation of bodies and lenses.<br>

Prices for parts have gone up dramatically, some parts are twice the old price now.</p>