desperate help needed

dave42

hi all,

i just purchased an early angulon 90.

the guy i purchased it says its not the standard 40.5 but could be a 30.5 or a 20.5 size.

the lens is in the mail and i wanted to use it on a trip this weekend.

does anyone know where i could get step up rings so that I can get to 40.5?

thanks in advance!!!!

-david

Marc,

Beware! It seems to me unlikely that the filter standard could be as low as indicated. Are you sure that he is selling you a 90 mm Angulon and not a 65 mm Angulon? The latter lens was rather common in the old days, used in 6x9 Technikas as well as in 6x9 Graphics.

I hope this helps

Since it's unlikely you'd get a step up ring from B&H that fast (that's where I get all mine), you can just hold a filter over the lens during exposure, i've dont it and it works in a pinch. I even do it for 35mm and dslr in a pinch if i dont want to screw the thing on, usually either my 72mm polarizer or yellow-orange filters...

It's probably 30.5. Although the Schneider website says a 90mm Angulon has a 40.5mm thread, there are nonstandard lens mounts that don't appear in their tables. I have a 1960-vintage 105mm Schneider Symmar that has a 30.5mm filter thread.

About 20 years ago I had a 30.5 - 40.5mm step ring machined by SRB in Luton, England. At that time I couldn't find a commercial source for a 30.5mm step ring.

Nowadays you can find 30.5mm step rings on the much-despised auction site for a few dollars. I think they're used for digital video cams or something. I have a 30.5 - 52mm ring that I still use on that Symmar.