Use of non pro C41 films i.e. Kodacolor, Fujicolor, Agfacolor

jerry_vincent

For years I've been using pro type C41 120 films like Kodak VPS, PMC, Fuji and Konica's similars (shooting weddings mostly) and want to shoot some film which is more contrasty with more brilliant colors. Do any of you have experience with: Fujicolor Super G 100 (CN120), Agfa Ultra 50 and Optima 100, Kodak Gold 100, and Kodak Pro Ektar 120 (25 iso). I thought I'd like to use my medium format camera on personal trips and want to use a very fine grain film with snappy color like I use in my 35mm cameras (using mostly Kodak Royal Gold 100)and get the medium format advantage.

I have used the Agfa ultra 50 for product shots for a local pizzeria

and I have to say I fell in love with it. The colors literally jumped

off the print in front of my eyes. I have used 120 and 135 versions

and the the medium format has got such a wonderful feel to it that I

use it exclusively for still life and product shots.

<p>

I hope this helps,

<p>

A. T. Seliotis

I recently returned from a trip and shot 20 rolls of Fujicolor Super HG 400 in 120 format. It had very good grain and color saturation. The 400 speed allowed me to work in more diverse lighting situations. It can be ordered from "The FIlm Shop" in N.Y.C.

<p>

Russ Rosener

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We used the PRN 120 Kodak "Pro 100" for vacation scenics this year and got wonderfully garrish prints that made the Sierras look like the Himalayas. Sue and I chuckle at the color, but of course everyone who sees them thinks they are wonderful.

<p>

One year we tried Fuji Reala just for fun; color was too weird for me but Sue liked the almost sepia-effect if gave to landscapes.

<p>

We would like to read about other people's 120 vacation choices in film as well.

<p>

Mark Hubbard

• 3 weeks later...
I used Agfa Ultra50 in Venice last month, geez the color saturation is awesome and the grain is negligible, as you would expect. (I shot mostly 220 Velvia, wish I'd taken more Agfa along for those dull days when you want the colors to sock you in the eye). Can recommend it without qualification.

• 10 months later...