Is there a good quality medium-wide to medium-long zoom (equivalent

to say 28 to 90 mm in 24x36 format) suitable for my D70 and having

virtually noticeable distortion? I do a mixture of street and

architectural photography and hate carrying anything more than one

camera and one lens. I sometimes use a fixed 35mm f2 Nikkor to give

the equivalent of around 50mm standard lens (which is quite a good

compromise between w/a and tele !) but it does not give much

flexibility.

The 17-55/2.8G-AF DX Nikkor is pretty close, but exhibits a bit a barrel distortion at the

wide end. A combination of the 17-35/2.8 and 28-70/2.8 would be better in terms of

distortion. The kit lens for the D70 isn't bad either, it's pretty linear from 24mm and

longer, but has noticeable distortion down at 18mm (not good for architecture).

There are some new Sigmas coming out that cover your range, but I haven't heard or seen

any distoriotn info on them.

HTH...

Philip -- "Distortion free" is a tall order. Not sure if you've already ruled out the Nikkor DX 18 - 70mm 'kit' lens (equiv 27 - 105), but it's actually a good lens. It's not fast at f/3.5 - 4.5, but it's compact and pretty solidly built.

Many people like the Tamron 28 - 75mm f/2.8 zoom, which is good and is faster, and is reasonably priced and compact, too, but starts at an effective 42mm -- perhaps not wide enough?

To get more range with speed and less distortion, I'm afraid your next stop is a pro-level lens -- excellent but heavier and much more $$$. I don't have the experience or expertise to offer recommendations there.

Good luck.

Anyone want to comment on the 24-85 AFS on a DX sensor? I've been scanning film shot with this lens lately and correcting a lot of pincushion at the long end. I know I can go outside and shoot garage doors to test it, but in my experience that's not the same as actual use in a variety of conditions. Thanks

I'll add to the chorus of praise for the 17-55/2.8. I find it much less geometrically

distorted than the 18-70 (another fine lens for the money). The 17-55 does show a bit of

barrel distortion at the wide end but it's subtle, easily correctable in Photoshop, and not

like the complex wavy distortion of the 18-70.

I have not yet shot any commercial architecture stuff with the 17-55, but my personal

tests show it to be a superb lens at all focal lengths, even wide open. And it better be, for

its asking price.

If I want to take a shot: the poster is likely to call the optic phenomenon of converging lines a "distortion", as he might be for the widening at the edge of the frame with a superwide lens. Just musing ...

What distortions do you notice, Phillip? What irks you with your lens performance now?

Sure.. the lens in your bag + PTLens. The software is free. Granted this is not the same as a distortion free lens. But its an easy step to add to a workflow, and if you don't need the speed of the a constant 2.8 zoom, it's a much much cheaper option. They have profiles for a good number of Nikon lenses... give it a try. I've not seen comparisons of detail in corrected vs uncorrected shots, but the interpolation algorithms can get about as advanced as you want (and consequently run anywhere from nearly instantaneously to extrememly slowly).