Summicron-C / Rokkor 40mm (CL/CLE) VS Summarit 40mm (Minilux/CM)

The big problem is defining "better". Top of the line lenses today offer incredible contrast and sharpness, largely at the expense of "character", the bokeh, the glow and smoothness of tonality that make many people lust after 50 year old lenses. The only way for YOU to find out which is better is to try both yourself. When it comes to sharpness, as well as a host of other attributes, the the Summicron/Rokkor is no slouch. It's one of the best lenses ever made in M mount.

Of course almost nobody projects slides 6 feet across anymore, and most images end up as 4x6 inch prints or show up on a computer screen. Even when you make 16x20 inch prints only other photographers stick their nose in the print to check sharpness. Normal people back off and admire the image.

I have to side with Al on the "define better" ... I have a 50mm f2 Hexanon ... all he said, super sharp and contrasty ... and a 50 year old 50mm f2 summicron collapsible ... warm smooth tone and still sharp ... I like each one on different shots ... the older one is great for portraits ...

Kenny ...

HOnda,

Tell ya what. Mount one of the Minilux/CM lenses in an M mount and I

will test them and tell you the results.

VERY few lenses that Leitz/Leica has ever made are equal to the

40mm Summicron, and even less are better. That PAS lens is not one

of them.

Jerry

Yes its definately possible. Erwin seems to think so, and since the Voigtlander achieves higher resolution at F2 there is no reason to doubt that the much more modern Summarit is of same standard. The problem being that pinpointing focus with a Minilux may prove a problem. Someone in Japan does do conversions to mount the Summarit and the Tessar from a Yashica T4/5 onto M's, I believe they convert contax G lenses as well as well.