building roll film backs for Bender 4x5 kit (ooo, yippee, I get first post on photo.net LF!)

todd_west

I'm getting a Bender 4x5 kit soon and would like to shoot roll film

as well as sheet film. Calumet's slide in roll film holders are

nice, but expensive and seem to kink film if it sits in the holder.

I'm therefore thinking of buying a regular medium format back (or

maybe a Graflock, though I haven't been able to locate one for 220),

buying an extra Bender back frame, and then using a board to mount

the roll film back. Registration and back planarity will be issues,

but they seem manageable with by some careful attention to detail.

Anybody out there done a roll film back for a Bender? Any

suggestions on backs that can be found used in the US$100 to 200

range? 6x6 up to 6x9 all work for me, and I'd wouldn't mind having

both a 120 and a 220 back anyway.

Why not build one? All it takes is a place to put the film spool, another for the takeup spool, a masked opening for exposing, a pressure plate, a dark slide, and a red window on the back to see the frame number? I mean - you're building the rest of the camera, so why stop there?

Ole, I'm stopping for the same reason I'm buying Bender's kit. I could make or buy all of the individual parts in the camera, but this would take me forever and probably end up costing more than buying the kit. For example, the nearest good wood shop I have access to is a three hour drive from my house, so the cost of a single trip down to work on camera parts would be roughly a fourth the price of the kit.

I'd rather spend the time shooting and the money on film.

Similarly, the easiest and cheapest way to get all the parts you mentioned I know of is to buy a used medium format or 4x5 roll film back (well, except the dark slide). So I might as well leave the back assembled and build only the adapter bit necessary to attach it to the camera. If I needed something like Sinar's $2200 zoom back, then I'd be willing to sort out the right pressure plate level, winding gears, and all the rest. But a $150ish, single format back meets my needs.

Ah -sorry. I forgot. It's a case of cultural difference, I probably have everything I would need in my basement workshop; and if I don't, my neighbor is sure to have it...

I'v just gotten used to having a workshop in the basement, I guess...

Easy through eBay; I've only seen a handful for sale elsewhere, usually at around $300. I looked into this option but the large format roll film archive here pretty strongly suggests the sharp bend at the insertion end of C-2s causes significant film kinks if the film sits in the holder for a while. I assume the film feeds under the darkslide, around the kink, and then to the take up spool so the kinks don't cause film flatness problems, but the archives also mention problems with some films not having enough or barely enough leader to feed the roll, as well as some other difficulties.

Seems like a standard roll film back would work better, even if it does mean pulling the ground glass to insert the back (I think I might even be able to get around this). Since it's highly unlikely I'll be able to lay hands on a C-2 before buying, a regular roll film back felt like a better investment.

If anybody's shooting Agfa RSX on a C-2, drop me a line.

Todd

Okay about building your back, if you have equipment enough to build a Bender camera, you will have all you need to build your own wood back. Just use the Bender back as an example. I built two backs, one for a 6x6 (2x2) Graphic and one for a 6x9 (2x3) Graphic Back. Focus with the GG back and then switch to the Graphic back. The backs are attached to the wood with hobby shop brass flat strips and brass screws.

I bought the back's off eBay for less than $100.00 US.

Harry, that's just about what I had in mind. I've already got parts for an extra Bender back. I take it you're using 2x2 and 2x3 backs, not the 4x5 -> 2x2 or 4x5 -> 2x3 step downs? How did you set the registration and light trap on the back? Just run the shims around outside the back's trap and tune their height?

Most of your last message questions will be answered when you build the Bender back. The Bender kit isn't a precision instrument! He explains how to fine tune the camera in the manual. The light trap is the same for both a film holder and roll film back. Incidently, I only use 120 film. My backs were built with 3/16" and 3/8" thick hardwood that I already had(any good clear hardwood should do).

The two Graphic backs were built differently. I will sometime in the next month or so photograph each one and upload them to my web site. There are some Graphic manuals and an 8x10 view camera on the site that may be of some interest. Click Graphic Directories.......

www.angelfire.com/art/architecturalphoto/

• 4 weeks later...