because most of the work involves single pieces on a bench with easy

camera access.

However, I also need to be able to take extreme close-ups of strings

actually attached to a piano, and a tripod obviously won't reach the

middle. By extreme close-ups, I mean magnifications up to 1.5:1, so I

need to be able to get very close to all the parts. The camera itself

is a regular high-speed CCD camera in a small box-shaped body with a

standard tripod mount. I generally use a Tamron 90/2.8 macro lens,

but I'll be ordering a Sigma 150/2.8 macro at some point soon.

The idea in my mind is some sort of rail system running over the piano

with the camera attached to an arm that would allow me to aim it

wherever I want. Having it secured to the piano itself would be an

added bonus, since it would eliminate vibrations transferred from the

floor. I can't even begin to imagine where I would look for something

like this, and I doubt it even exists. It is certainly something of a

niche item!

My first inclination is to look through movie equipment catalogues for

ideas on how to set this up, and I will be doing that over the next

few days. That said, I would sincerely appreciate any suggestions

everyone has on how to proceed with this project. The budget is

probably somewhere around $1500-2000, which probably wouldn't go too

far with movie equipment, unfortunately. It is possible that we could

end up machining our own design if nothing suitable can be found, so

any design suggestions or thoughts would be great, too.

I hope I've described everything adequately. I'll take some photos of

the current setup and post them later today.

Get a bunch (5 maybe?) of Bogen Super Clamps (2915). These have a big jaw and both

tripod posts and sockets. Around $30 each.

Attach two of them to tripods on either side of the piano, and use them to hold the

heaviest metal pipe you can manage across the piano. If you've got the budget a big beefy

tripod like a Bogen 3058 would be best, but a lesser tripod will do fine as long as you

don't get too heavy a pipe.

Use another clamp to attach the camera to the pipe. Depending on your positioning needs

you may or may not want a tripod head between the Super Clamp and the camera.

Try to find a way to use the remaining clamps to brace the center of the pipe to the piano

for stability. Maybe use a Bogen double articulated arm (396AB-2)

see

http://www.bogenimaging.us/product/itemlist.php3?manufid=1&sectionid=228

http://www.bogenimaging.us/product/itemlist.php3?manufid=1&sectionid=221

http://www.bogenimaging.us/product/itemlist.php3?manufid=1&sectionid=191

for descriptions of the various bits, B&H is probably the best place to order them from.

A boom arm would be a lot more convenient, but getting one stable enough for macro

shooting could be very challenging

The problem with borrowing from other departments is that working everything out is usually a real pain every time. This system has to be available whenever needed, and possibly for weeks at a time, so having our own is probably the best option.

The other departments could certainly get you info on their sources. Another place to check with would be the Music Department. Our high school has a wide variety of clamping and framing devices used in putting together drum line and other percussion set-ups. Again, they might be able to get you in touch with their sources as well. I don't know that clamping to the piano is a good idea if you are trying to avoid vibrations.

The laboratory frames (found in the chemistry department for holding lightweight items e.g., burettes, thermometers, rings, etc.), are probably not rigid enough for your application. My guess is the frames used by the music department also would not be especially rigid, more likely placing a premium on lightweight/portability (someone can correct me if I'm wrong).

I would agree with the poster who suggested the Bogen Super Clamps and an assortment of pipes (1.5" diameter, Schedule 40, galvanized should be plenty rigid), or better yet the aluminum backdrop supports from people like Bogen, Photoflex, etc.).

Actually, after re-reading your post (and your budget), I think maybe a camera stand would be something to look at. Plenty of rigidity, flexibility, and I believe some have accessory side arms to allow you to cantilever the camera over the object.

Try:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=4985&is=REG

Good luck.

The clamps and the supports used in the labs are not infereior to the ones made for photography. There are various sizes/strengths/quality stuff used based on the scale of a flask or an overhead motorized stirrer. Think of a 25 liter flask with all the contents in it being supported. Many (well endowed) labs have surplus gear in their storage that can be had on "long term loans".

It is unfortunate that there is little interaction between folks from various faculties nowadays, even in socalled "Universities". Defeats the purpose of one. Sad but true.

Place horizontal arm on tripod or head. Place tripod on dolly, I believe Bogen among others sells one. Tape or nail board to floor, parallel to keyboard, to act as a rail substitute, limiting movement to a straight line. Tether camera to a computer to see where you are. If not possible to operate camera from com computer, take a shot, look at it, adjust, shoot again. Much easier if you can tether to computer. You are ready to go, Chris.

Bill