dnmullaney

Yes, it's a dreaded proof album question. I'd like to know if there

is a book which allows veritical and horizontal [portrait and

landscape] orientation of images within the same album or pages. I'm

looking for something simple and classic, like black faux or real

leather...but not with gold or silver accents...Oh, I should say I'd

like it to be under $100, and preferably around $50, photographer's

cost.

This may sound really tacky, but I go to the drug store and buy one of the Pioneer albums with a cloth tapestry covering that holds 200 4x6" prints for about $12. It looks good and displays the prints clearly.

As a business priactice, I also do not do any post wedding albumcreations or enlargements, so my proof album IS the wedding album, which contains 200 quality 4x6" prints. Now that i do only digital, I can make my own "perfect" prints! (^O^)

Interestingly, most of my clients like this, since I also give them the negatives, and now the CD's, and they can make their own enlargements, or have me do them...perfectly, of course!

This is a personal opinion after 20 years of wedding photography:

I think that a big formal wedding album is a waste of money for the client. When I visit clients, I see other such albums in a book case and rarely opened.

I suggest that my clients make enlargements for offices, wallets, friends, and home display, and use the "proof album" as the documentation of their special day.

Make the "proof" prints as you would your final prints, and that is enough!

That's just my opinion.

We use Leather Craftsmen- simple- black only. We use 4x6 proofs and they are horizontal- 3 up- and in your budget. Well- they are in between your budget someplace depending on how many sleeves you add. It is hard to find a good proof book- nothing too gawdy- or cheap looking- and something with a big fancy box. This is the only one I've found that I like.

Dan - There is an album I get occassionally from www.michelcompany.com <p>It is called the LAD Corina Quad Preview Album. You can purchase the inserts in 6x6 size - 4 to a page. The book itself is quite large - and looks like Black faux leather - No gold or silver accents with black rings. The cost: Around $35 for the book...and around $75 per 100 inserts and order forms (400 prints). <p>As far as I know - it is the only proof album out there that allows vertical and horizontal orientation of images. <p>I offer it as a "deluxe proofing" option and charge an additional $100. Or - up your package prices an extra $100 to cover the cost.