First Meter Purchase, need recommendations

jml

I've got to purchase a meter, and like everything else in

photography world, there are a plethora to choose from. I want an

accurate, easy to use, does everything (because I don't want to find

I need something and have to replace it) meter. I know most

probably have their faves, but looking at whats out today, what

would be some to choose between? Thanks.

I agree with John. I started out with the Sekonic 308b and found it small lightweight and did most everything I needed at the time. Then I upgraded to the Sekonic 358. It has an analyzing feature that simultaneously evaluates both flash and ambient light and displays the values in three ways: a) combined readings of flash and ambient, b) percentage of flash in the total exposure or c) simultaneous display of flash, ambient and combined readings on the analog scale, dual ISO readings and has the module available to fire pocket wizards. The 308 is about $175 and the 358 is about $250. It depends on what you need or how much you need your meter to do.

Thanks all. I went to the Sekonic web-site to check out their meters. Can you tell me if this feature is a good thing (they have an offer on it now) or not necessary. As I'm meter challenged at this point, I wouldn't know. Thank you again.

"Optional Plug-in Radio Transmitter Module

Electronic flash units and/or cameras can be triggered wirelessly from either the L-358 or L-558 CINE meter?s optional plug-in, multi-channel digital radio transmitter. No more tripping over synch cords, or fumbling with PC connectors. Compatible with all PocketWizard Digital Radio Receivers, these meters can simultaneously trigger and measure your electronic flash units up to 100 feet away. You can also select through the meter?s software, ?Quad Triggering mode? which provides you with up to four zones of lighting control remotely. Now you can individually measure several flash units wirelessly with the touch of the meter?s measuring button, without walking over to each light and turning them on or off. You can even trigger motor driven cameras from the meter. Part of the Digital Wireless Freedom system, the L-608, L-608CINE and L-358 are wireless exposure meters and exposure makers".

That's one of the features that interested me the most. The trouble is the unit for the meter is about $50. and the pocket wizard with both reciever and transmitter cost about $350. It's a healthy investment but it give you a lot of freedom on location or in the studio. You don't have any cords to trail behind you and get tangled which also gives you more fredom in moving around. Photography is like owning a boat. A big black hole you keep throwing money down. It does motivate one to take more jobs to pay for it all.

I use a Minolta Autometer IIIF that I bought from a pawn shop for five bucks. The head was hanging off by the wires. I fixed it (simple replacement of a screw), put in a new battery, has worked like a champ for the past few years. Great incident meter, good enough flashmeter for my purposes.

However the Sekonic seems a little better made. I haven't handled the latest model Minolta but mine feels a bit cheapish. Can't complain for the what I paid, tho'.

Jan,<br><br>

Everybody has a favorite meter, but to advise you on your meter we would need to know more about your photography methods. The Sekonic L-358 is a great middle of the road meter; well recommended in many reviews. It has the capability of calculating light ratios in several ways if this is of interest to you. There was a <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00BpWF">thread </a>on this subject yesterday.

<br><br>

If you are not going to be checking lighting ratios (more general and landscape versus studio portrait), then a smaller, lighter, 'pocket sized' meter might be more suitable. The radio trigger becomes important if you set up lighting in places where you can't trigger the strobes with a cable or light. This comes up, for example, in wedding situations where you can not rule out other folks having a flash (no light trigger) and there are lots of people moving around (tripping on cables). You don't have to buy the radio trigger right away if that type of photgraphy is not in your immediate future. Even inexpensive strobe (e.g. Alien Bees) can be triggered by light.