Tripod & Monopod Recommendations

melisa

I'm in the market for a new tripod, the old & trusty has bit the

dust, and everyone seems to have a different take. I'm a total girl

when it comes to this one...so, I'd love your thoughts. Thinking

$250 would be my limit, as I really don't use a tripod much anyway,

but will need one nontheless. I've also been using the Pro-T frame

and the Stroboframe QR system, if that helps.

Any thoughts on monopod selection would also be appreciated.

Melisa, I've been photographing weddings for 22 years since I was 15 years old. Some of the methods I use are 'oldschool.'

Tripod is 'oldschool' but tripod is good. Camera attaches to tripod with quick release plate, so that camera can be rapidly removed.

When you're photographing groups, the tripod is a reference point for people to stand in front of, even if you're not at the tripod. I hope you get what I mean.

I use a Gitzo (French) tripod and a Manfrotto (Italian) ball and socket head. Gitzo and Manfrotto are popular in the USA. I also use a Tiltall (USA) tripod. A 'standard' Gitzo has a leg diameter of 28mm. I go for the slightly lighter 'weekend' 24mm. I also go for 4-section legs, rather than the common 3-section. Gitzo tripods are the best (strongest/lightest) aluminum on the planet.

A good tripod is expensive, like good dentistry, money well spent, a tripod is for life, not just for thanksgiving. Check out Ebay for a second hand Gitzo or Tiltall.

See if you can check out Giottos Tripods and Monopods in person. I just bought them and

have been quite happy. I think they are basically Gitzo copies and I find them to be way

more than sufficient. (For reference, I also own a big expensive heavy Majestic Tripod)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?

A=search&Q=&b=171&Submit.x=9&Submit.y=5&shs=&ci=2636&ac=

A=search&Q=&b=171&Submit.x=13&Submit.y=6&shs=&ci=397&ac=

For quick Tripod shooting I really like the Manfrotto "Grip Action" Head

O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=5558&is=REG

I have a Bogen 3033, big push levers make for easy leg adjustment,watch out for those little thumb wheels that strip and fall off. While a little heavy your not going to knock it over if you bump it. For the mono-pod, I have had a couple, the one I kept is made by Slik, good plate and the top swivels to the portrait position, this works for me.

I use a Bogen/Manfrotto 3021 and have for many years. It is simple, reasonably priced and does the job, even for my medium format gear. Also, if it was stolen, I wouldn't cry a lot (just a little). If I were buying today, I might look at their Neotec tripod for the faster leg setup.

"A good tripod is expensive, like good dentistry, money well spent, a tripod is for life, not just for thanksgiving."

I could not have said it better. I'm still using the same Bogen I purchased back in 1990, 3021 w/ a standard 156(136??) head.

these days the ball head, is the one I see used most often, but ymmv,

plan on spending ALL of your 250 bucks, and remember, you spend good money on it to get decades of service...not a few weeks

I use a Gitzo Studex, also the 4 section leg model rather than the 3 section. It goes lower. I'm not sure if it goes higher than the 3. I use it with either a Slick ball and socket head or a Gitzo pan & tilt head. I bought it back about 1978 and it's still in great shape. I used to also have the somewhat smaller Gitzo Reporter with a large Leitz (Leica) ball and socket head but "lost" that in my divorce from the first wife. She still uses it. When the Reporter was about 10 years old I wrote to the importer saying that the rubber gripper rings on the legs were dried out and cracking. A week later I got a padded envelope in the mail with a letter saying that the rings DO NOT dry out and crack, along with a new set of rings. Since then there's been no problem with the rings on either tripod. Was the Studex expensive? Hell yes! But figuring that it's cost me less than $5 a year to own it, it still works and looks great, and I could now sell it second hand for 3 or 4 times what I paid for it nearly 30 years ago who could complain! Best of all I don't think that "digital" will do away with the need for tripods. Of course the manufacturers might decide to make "Digital Only" tripod screws and sockets and patent the mount so nobody can make an adapter. Not likely.