W/NW: Bokeh Shot

It's good to have a posting that shows a variety of different bokeh patterns, both fore- and background, and that doesn't degenerate into rants about the word itself and/or whether bokeh even matters in an image. To those for whom it matters, bOKeh. To those for whom it doesn't, OOF!

I love the summilux bokeh on both the "pugilism" shot and the portraits. Despite the

swirling effect at max aperture, it's low contrast and "stays back". The summicron is

calmer but a bit dull. The planar's good too. The 90 elmarit looks a bit harsh (i.e. high

contrast in oof) - was it shot into the sun? I don't remember mine being like that.

FWIW, I think bokeh is best tested when shapes in the background are still intended as

distinguishable - ie. at mid-apertures - and when the background actually forms part of

the subject matter (not just washed into a background). All lenses can blur backgounds

out completely at max aperture and up-close. What is not so clever is if you shoot, say

with a Nikkor 35-70 2.8 afd (my personal bete noir) at c.f4 and you find the ni-sen

bokeh'd background taking precedence over the main subject - giving a kind of perverse,

concave 3-d effect. My 90 SAA M gives poor "front bokeh" which means you don't want to

have focus just on the eyes of a portrait (the forehead and nose go funny). Other than that

it's faultless.