28/2 ASPH vs. 28/1.9 CV

jason_b.

I would like to try the 28mm focal length, but the ASPH is a bit out of range right now $$.

Is the CV optically up to snuff? I like contrast and snap, and flare resistance is really

important to me. Anybody shot both? Build quality of CV seems ok, as far as my 35/1.2 is

concerned. I also would like the wide aperture so no f2.8 for me right now.

The 28/2 Summicron ASPH is a superb lens, and you pay for the privilage. I shot one against my CV 28/1.9 and the two lenses are within spitting distance from each other, IME. The Summicorn is certainly nicer down to between 2.8 and 4, but below that, I could find little practical difference. The Summicron is also superb wide open, as you'd expect. But I find the wide-open performance of my 28/1.9 very, very good, with well controlled vignetting and good corner sharpness.

The Ultron lens is larger and has rougher design lines than the Summicron. It's build quality is very good, but nowhere near the Summcrion. The Ultron is not one of the newer, very-high-quality-build CV lenses like the 28/3.5 or 50/2.5. It's focusing ring ridges tend to brass pretty quickly, just like the 50/1.5 Nokton.

It's a real deal.

Skip

Jason, I have found the Ultron performs very well against the light. It's quite flare resistent. I have both the Summicron and the Ultron, and have shot them off against each other. Truth is, they are both great. I was going to dust the Ultron after I got the Summicron, and never did. I've decided to keep both. The Ultron is bigger, but you don't really feel it, because it's light. It's styling is really nice ... a lot like the old chrome 50mm Summilux. I use both the Summicron and the Ultron with the Contax GG1 hood and am very happy with the results. The Ultron and the GG1 look like they are MFEO. The VC hood that comes with the Ultron is horrible. The hood that comes with the Summicron is wonderfully effective, but it is so bulky I just leave it home and use the GG1. Both the Ultron and the Summicron are E46, so no problems there.

This was shot with the 28mm Ultron against the light:<div>00BWO5-22383784.thumb.JPG.3a9f61d1bcee900a74b6eb58c9e34685.JPG</div>

Jason, I do find good detail and "snap" in the highlights ... in the first shot, I like that I can see detail in the snow and ice crystals on the roof of the shed where the sun glints off of it ...

I have to qualify, though, that these were all done at moderate to narrow apertures ... I don't have as many comparable shots wide open, so I must take the comments of others regarding performance below f4 at face value until I have more of my own evidence.

Didn't you just buy the 50mm Summilux Asph? Weren't you extolling its heavenly qualities? The <i>sine qua non</i> of 50mm lenses. With such high standards, I suggest skipping some restaurant meals (and overpriced drinks) and saving up for the 28mm Summicron Asph.

I know I love the 50mm, I'm not sure about the 28mm. Hence the desire to save some cash

on a focal length I'm not sure about. And mostly I cook, and drink cheap stuff. If the CV is

really close in quality, it'd be a good bet for me to get a handle 28mm.

Jason,

I've had a CV 28mm f/1.9 since 2001 or 2002. I don't baby my gear and this lens has stood up to use. As previous posters have shown, it is an outstanding optic. I find the build quality to be excellent.

Get one, you won't regret it. The only downside is it is a bit big and takes 46mm filters. But the Leica lens is big as well.

• 2 weeks later...