canon 17-40 f4L

son_tran

I don't think I have seen very many people knock the 17-40 f4L other than it being a f4. The only question is it the lens for your needs. As for the quality of the lens you need not worry about that b/c it is a fine lens. I have one and i have been very happy with its performance! don't sweat it, even if it isn't what you need you can always sell it for close to the amount the lens was purchased.

Trevy!

it depends on your camera and other lenses.

I have this lens and never got dis-appointed. AS someone said it is a f4. But photos taken with this lens does have a distinct color and contrast and sharpness -- what u expect from a L lens.

if you have APS-c DSLR -- just take some shots and do pixel peeping -- comparing this to a lower end lens -- u should be able to make the decision yourself.

i have some group photos i have taken with this lens on my 20D -- to me they were simply too good -- i mean for 8x10 prints or on a 19" monitor

If you have a crop factor camera then it is an exceptionally capable if rather boring lens (it is not wide enough to be a wide angle lens and not long enough to be a standard zoom).

If you have a full frame camera then it is a very exciting if less capable lens. Definitely an ultrawide but the borders at the wider settings suffer a bit even stopped down.

On a crop factor camera you cannot do much better optically in a zoom that covers that range (maybe the 16-35/2.8 or the 17-55/2.8 IS but these are a mite pricey) but as a walk around lens there are a bunch I would rather have.

What Alistair said. I originally bought a 17~40 as an upgrade from a non-L 20~35 for film use, and found it to be a very good, if not wholly perfect, ultrawide. It then became my standard lens on the 20D, and produced excellent results over the cropped area, but with a frustratingly limited zoom range. For use on a 1.6-factor camera, if you don't mind the somewhat greater weight and considerably greater cost, the 17~55IS looks like a better choice all round. The alternative, which I now have, is the 10~22 plus 24~105 two-lens solution.

No-one could describe the 17~40 as a bad choice on either FF or 1.6-factor, but on 1.6-factor one of the alternatives may be better, depending on your needs.

Dude/Dudette....why on EARTH would you want to self-justify an expensive purchase after the fact? Did you do no research prior to purchase? Do you actually think anyone's internet opinion will affect you? Do you even make photographs or are you a gear collector? If this is a serious post might I suggest a Kodak Brownie or similar where you will never ever have to worry about any choices you make ever again (please remember to remove finger from in front of lens while shooting).........

BAD NEWS !

The second day of the trip to Arizona-Utah I broke the lense and 2 filters (UV+CP). I had the camera on the tripod some how the tripod fall over and hit the lense on the surface of "THE WAVE" in Utah. Yup!on top of the slope on your left. (I picked all the pieces of the filters and packed them home )

The rings of the filters were pushed in the glass and stuck there. Can't autofocus.

I heard that there is a CANON repair shop somewhere in IRVINE ,CA. Does anyone happen to have the address or the phone number ?

I am happy cause i made it to THE WAVE and i had my 28-135mm with me

THANKS