D2x VS. D70, comparison images

bill c.

Here's a comparison of the D2x and D70. Lens was a 70-200 2.8 VR, both

kits tripod-mounted. I shot the D2x at ISO 200 just so the comparison

was better matched. I had to shoot the D2x on TIFF, as this computer

hasn't been able to download the newer versions of Picture Project and

Capture Editor to deal with the D2x NEF file. D70 file was NEF (RAW).

The D70 image was shot with the lens on 70mm. The two images from the

D2x were shot with the lens on 70mm for the full-frame (such as it is)

image and then at a zoom factor that gave me the exact same framing

for the high-speed crop.

My analysis is that things came out pretty much as expected, though

the D70 did perform admirably. The D2x was of course far superior when

used full-frame, and is just a bit better than the D70 when used in

crop mode.

Here's the entire image, which will be followed by some tiny sections

taken from the middle of the frame for comparison.

Happy shooting. -BC-<div>00BUYo-22342384.jpg.448571860eb3961cfe2565850e79735d.jpg</div>

I am confused:<P>

<I>The D70 image was

shot with the lens on 70mm. The two images from the D2x were shot with the lens on

70mm for the full-frame (such as it is) image and then at a zoom factor that gave me the

exact same framing for the high-speed crop.</I><P>More confusion: would it not be the

case that you'd set the focal length for the D70 & standard D2X capture at a longer focal

length and for the D2X High Speed Crop mode to zoom to a shorter focal length to match

the angle of view for the D70 & standard D2X framing?

For goodness sakes, guys, gimme some time! I got caught on the phone, had to run a kid's (forgotten) lunch to school, having upload problems. Sheesh, you know, there are things besides PhotoNet in the world.

Oh my God! What did I just say?????

Anyhow, in this session I am going to upload the comparison images between the D2x in high-speed crop mode and the D70, both images having the same field of view--you were right, Ellis, I did have that backward! The D70 is on roughly 93mm, the D2x is on 70mm.

The shots from the D2x and D70 both at 70mm (same magnification comparison) might have to wait a while, as several things have just come up.

Here's a tiny detail from the D70 at 93mm. -BC-

The most desirable way to run a meaningful test would be to shoot the *identical* scene with D70 and D2x (at 12 MP) with no in-camera settings and then resampling (bicubic is good) the D70 shot to have the same pixel dimensions as that of the D2x shot. Then you could post crops from both.

It really does not have to be any more complicated than the above I hope.

This is a valid test too. Thanks Bill. If I have a 500mm lens and D70, I can live with a 400mm lens + D2X. In fact You don't even need 400mm 375MM will be good enogh to produce 6MP image with same angle of view as 500mm on D70. So D2X is not 5 times expensive compared to D70. It may be around 3 or 4 times depending what lens you have :)

And here's a shot from the D2x at 70mm. Note that at lower magnifications, the image from the D70 might appear a bit sharper than it actually is, due to the exposure difference and the resulting contrast difference. Dig down deep into the image and you'll see the real story. Also note that the D2x was set on ISO 200 for direct comparison purposes and JPEG because of computer limitations.

You need to keep in mind that as a professional, I was ready to switch to Canon before I got this camera, and the people I got it from were well aware that if I didn't like it it was going to be returned ASAP. The bottom line is that I've never had a camera that makes me want to take pictures more, and that's saying something. News, studio, sports, nature, fine-art, weddings, this camera has the capability to do it all, and do it as well or better--taken over all--than any other camera out there.

Other tests have shown that the D2x is as sharp as the Canon 1Ds Mark II, though it has a smidgen less exposure latitude and a bit more noise at the super-high speeds. However, it's a faster machine, and for sports and long-distance work that equal resolution comes with what results in a 1.5 X magnification factor. Call it a crop factor if you will, but if the resolution is equal, it ends up being a magnification factor. For longer telephoto use in the 2x crop mode, it's about the equal of the Canon 20D, or some say the 1D Mark II.

All that given, it is a different animal than the 1DS Mark II, not withstanding that it costs three thousand dollars (US) less. Plus it seems to be built on a very strong chassis.

So far, so good. Even with the download problem (the replacement still hasn't gotten here) I'm pretty pleased with it. Even so, given my sometimes disappointment with Nikon, let's say that I'm cautiously optomistic. I've still got three weeks if I want to take the camera back, and I plan to push it to the limit during that time.

But think of what I've got: The equivalent of an unlimited amount of ISO 100 slide film, plus an unlimited amount of high-speed film for indoor sports that is as sharp as any film out there, with middle ISO speeds (around 400) that are far better than any film available, in a camera that's capable of up to 8FPS with wickedly fast autofocus.

Happy shooting.

Oh, it's good for a lot more than just sports photography. I'm actually looking forward to wedding season now, and if I get a magazine shoot I'm not worried if they need to use an image double-truck. Before, I'd shoot slide film and bracket the daylights out of it, which gets very expensive very quickly.

The D70 works well in the studio for headshot images and things that need to go up to 8" x 10" (maybe 9" x 12" if all technical aspects are lined up properly), and the D2x is good for double that and more.

Sports is not my main thing, but it's nice to have that aspect covered.

Happy shooting. -BC-