400D on Canon's China website

steve_munoz

I am ROTFL! Just what on Earth is a "boring focal length"? Good god, you must bore easily. Thank GOD they have other lenses or you might be BORED!

If you mean that it makes for the most realistic looking images, then you are correct. If you equate realistic with boring, then I feel sorry for you.

Keith

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

<i>And to think that I once read that no Japanese camera manufacturer would ever release a camera with a "four" in the name, because in Japanese "four" is pronounced the same as "death!"</i><p>

That's a Chinese thing - the four/death thing. It could be Japanese as well, but I don't speak Japanese so I'm not sure. I do speak Chinese and 4 is definitely a bad number.

A 70-200 f4 image-stab L would be a must, if true.

As for there being much of that ilk in existence, the current f4 70-200 is non image-stab, and the 70-200 f2.8 and 100-400 f5.6 are simply too large and heavy for all-day use at outdoor trials and shows. I think this rumoured newcomer will be a boon!

Not much interested in the 50 f1.2L though I guess some will use it on a 1.6x/APS-C DSLR as an 80 f1.2L --- and the design must be a new formulation, and not a retread of the 1970s FD aspheric with a USM added?

A 5D with dust-removing ultrasonic blaster would be perfect!

Well, if it makes anybody feel better, in Japanese, you can pronounce 4 two different ways ("shi" and "yon" I think). I'm not sure which of the two are applicable to "400"

I just wanted to comment on people's surprise at dRebel's biting into 30D sales. So what? Canon will sell way more dRebels than 30D. Plus there isn't a whole lot of R&D costs in the 30D to recoup, since it's basically a very nice firmware upgrade to the 20D. And lastly, the 5D may also have bitten into 1D sales, but the 1D still does stuff the 5D doesn't, just as the 30D does stuff the 400D/370D/XTi doesn't.

And lastly, if that 70-200 4L IS really does 4 stops IS, that's replacing my current 4L, and I won't be getting the 2.8 IS anymore. Amazing lens, but my camera bag is getting kind of heavy.

<<Well, if it makes anybody feel better, in Japanese, you can pronounce 4 two different ways ("shi" and "yon" I think). I'm not sure which of the two are applicable to "400">>

None of it is applicable. Camera companies have released products with 40, 400, and all sorts of variations. This "bad luck" disinformation just won't die. It's the number 4, by itself, nothing more.

70-200 4 IS - I have been waiting for it for a year! If it is true, I hope it is as good as the non-is optically.

400D - more pixels is more important at this level than less noise, so it is logical to have it for Canon to get/keep market share

50 1.2 - should be a good lens, maybe I get one day...

Crap, I just realized a problem for me with the 4L IS.

One of the big features of the 2.8L IS that compells me to upgrade from the 4L, is the 3x High-Precision AF you get with f/2.8 lenses on my camera.

4L no matter how many more stops of IS won't deliver that.

Arghh, just a few months after I bought my 2.8L IS. I think the key with the 4L IS is at what price point will it be. Didn't the 24-105L come down a couple of hundred after a few months? The 4L IS, if priced right, could take a bite out of the people who buy the Sigma 70-200/2.8.

How much for a Fiddy 1.2L? The 1.4 is plenty fast and sharp to me. Can't see them doing it for less than $800 bucks, or do they keep the price lower and try to get more people to use it? People can say that the 1.4 isn't as sharp as it should be at 1.4, but wide open I'm usually shooting people, where a little softness is OK. Plus with that kind of shallow DOF, little errors or movement in the subject can play havoc with sharpness.

The 30D looks more and more like a cock-up. What were they thinking. A legitimate response to the 200D almost a year later! I love my 20D and its all I really need, but if I had to do it all over again I'd get the 200D in a heart beat. The auto iso exposure mode and the ability to use the on camera flash as a master trigger instead of a ST-E thingy makes it much easier.

Where is the 1Ds Mark III (Hat-trick)?

Mark

"None of it is applicable. Camera companies have released products with 40, 400, and all sorts of variations. This "bad luck" disinformation just won't die. It's the number 4, by itself, nothing more."

That's not true. 14 and 24 are worse than just 4. For the Cantonese (HK & Guangzhou), that sounds like "sure to die" and "easily dead". For some, just have the 4 _anywhere_ is bad, others just don't care.

For the Mandarin (rest of China & Taiwan) both 4 and 10 sound very close to death, so it's less of a bother. The answer changes for every Chinese dialect.

It's more likely that Canon is releasing two bodies than having this new model be the "legend."

This body makes sense, more sense than the 30D did.

My guess is that the 400D is XT-plasticky, and Canon will drop the price of the XT (down from $630 street to $450-$499), and price the 400D at or under the price of the D80.

<<For some, just have the 4 _anywhere_ is bad, others just don't care.>>

In the context of camera companies, they simply must not care.

Canon: A430, A420, SD430, A410, SD450, SD400, A400, S410, S400, S45, A40, S40.

Nikon: P4, L4, S4, 4800, 8400, 4200, 4100, 5400, 4300, 4500

Fuji: A400, F470, F455, F440, F450, F420, F410, F402, ...

And I'm giving up. This is drifting wildly off-topic and there are just too many cameras with the number 4 in them.

"Didn't the 24-105L come down a couple of hundred after a few months?"

No. The 24-105/4L-IS Still at $1200 plus. Expect similar pricing (or higher) on a 70-200/4L-IS. It won't be cheaper.

The 50/1.2L cost: Who knows? The 85/1.2L went up 25%+ when updated. I would predict the $1250 price point for a 50/1.2L.

If Canon did the perfect compact and bijoux D400 + 24-70 f4 L named "horsesh**" and a lovely 85 f1.4 L called the "cow's ar**hole" there would no doubt be a ready market, despite the names; the problem is that some people wouldn't buy them just because of those designations causing offence, and the cultural differences in a World trade are interesting, and important. Okay, that's my diversity awareness gold star blown to bits for this month! (I am intrigued that somebody raised the issue.)

FWIW, here are my initial reactions:

I would have preferred a 400/5.6 IS to the 70-200/4 IS. But then I

already own the 70-200/2.8 IS.

I'm not impressed by the 400D feature list although I only have an obsolete 300D. I'll probably wait for the 5D successor instead. Canon, please give me a reasonably priced FF 3D with 16 MP and I'll buy it right away.

A 50/1.2 is nice but I wouldn't spend the rumoured $1700 on something

like this if I can get the (good) 50/1.8 for less than $100.

If this is all for Photokina I'll pass and safe a lot of money.

Can someone offer up what the appeal of a 50 F1.2 is?

Am I incorrect in thinking it will be BIG, heavy, expensive, take big filters, and optically

probably be no better than the slower lens?

So what does one get with this lens, a half stop over a F1.4? A bit more light and a bit less

DOF, is that it? In these days of low noise digital I wouldn't think people would place that

much emphasis on a half stop.

This makes it pretty much unanimous. We have an impressive log-jam of 10mp econo-Dslrs. Now, who will break from the pack with the next generation of 12mp or full frame or whatever?

As for boring, boring is good. I get tense if my vehicle gets too interesting for example... Boring often equates with useful, but I have to admit that zooms, teles, and wides are all fun toys.