Digital workflow applications?

kevin wisdom

Hello all,

My question deals with digital workflow in the post production

environment. I am trying to decide which software applications would

best benefit me with both RAW and JPG files. Currently I shoot on a

Nikon D70. The two applications that I am trying to decide between

for digital capture/sorting are Nikon Picture Project and ACDSEE 7.

As for primary image manipulation, my choices are Photoshop CS with

the Nikon RAW plug-in, Phase One Capture One, and Nikon Capture. I?d

really like to know what apps other people are using for their

workflow and if anyone recommends any one app over the other.

Kevin, I shoot everything in RAW that I can. I am using Canon equipment and open everything in PS. The browser in PS is very powerful. You can sort/flag images and even rate images. I use just PS so I only have to learn one program and hopefully it saves me time by not having to use two programs. My workflow is 1. copy to a named folder on my desktop. 2. burn a copy of the raw files on a cd/dvd. 3. sort and edit and save as PSD files in new folder inside the raw folder. 4. burn final PSD files onto the same cd/dvd. I don't know if that helps, but I just try to keep it as simple as possible. Good Luck.

For converting RAW files I love to use Capture One. In fact I can't imagine using something else. Setting a WB and minor exposure compensation is so much more convenient than in ACR (changes in real time for example).

<br>BTW, don't forget to calibrate your monitor, otherwise you'll be dissapointed with your prints.

Download "iView Media Pro" - full version usable for 21 day trial. I could not work without

it. Just drag a folder of RAW files into a catalog and just like that you can view them, batch

rename, batch export to JPGs, TIFs etc.

It's truly the one piece of software that I can honestly say is worth every penny of $200.

Like I said, try it out for 21 days - you'll be amazed. Also try Extensis Portfolio at the same

time and compare the two, also a free trial - also $200.

They're very similar programs but I found iView to be much faster with some cooler

features - but I'm on a Mac and I've heard iView works a little better on Mac and Portfolio

better on Windows. Try em' both and see for yourself.

http://www.iview-multimedia.com/

http://www.extensis.com/en/products/product_family.jsp?locale=en_US&id=prod60005

<p>Kevin</p>

<p>I would suggest going to Nikon's download page and getting Nikon View 6.??

(what ever it is up to). Much better than Picture Pkg and it's free.</p>

<p>I have downloaded a trial version of Nikon Capture 4.2 and I'm contemplating

spending the $99 to buy it. It has Nikon Editor that some people say gives

better results on NEF's than Adobe. A scaled down version of Nikon Editor comes

with Nikon View and does a descent job but is limited.</p>

<quote>For converting RAW files I love to use Capture One. In fact I can't imagine using

something else. Setting a WB and minor exposure compensation is so much more

convenient than in ACR (changes in real time for example).</quote>

I fail to see your point. Photoshop RAW does all of this too IN REAL TIME!

In addition, C1 is very expensive and does only do raw converting. In contrast, PS, if

learned well, provides a very good, integrated workflow, which does all you could possibly

want. Highly recommended!

For whatever it's worth, here's my workflow.

1. Download cards to ACDSee, which sequences them by date/time. I then renumber them all according to that sequence. I use ACDSee because I find it more convenient than the Photoshop CS file browser. YMMV.

2. Burn two DVDs of the unedited RAW files and set them aside.

3. Open RAW files in Capture One, where I edit, delete the losers, and apply corrections as needed to the keepers, using mostly the keyboard controls. The keyboard controls really enable me to fly, and the magnifying focus control makes it possible to eliminate immediately the ones that aren't sharp enough. When finished, I move the contents of the trash file to another folder. They will be permanently deleted when I finish with everything else.

4. As I edit in C1, I frequently highlight the edited files, click on Workflow >Selected Capture Settings >Save. I try to do this every 10 or 15 files, because C1 3.6 will crash without warning.

5. In ACDSee, I fine-tune the sequence, make final deletions, and renumber the selects. Everything is still RAW at this point; nothing has been developed.

6. Back to Capture One, where the selects are processed, 100 at a time because I have SE 3.6. The pro version would allow me to process them all at once. With either version the processing goes on in the background and I can work on other things while the files are being converted. When I'm finished, both RAW files and jpegs (or tiffs) have the same numbers.

7. Both RAW files and jpegs are copied to an external hard drive.

8. Both RAW files and jpegs are copied to DVDs. One set stays here, and one set goes to my assistant's house.

I'm sure that by this time the film shooters on the list are saying to themselves "Good grief! That's so complicated and time-consuming!" Actually, the process is simpler to do than to describe. Further, IMO film shooters tend to downplay the actual amount of time they have to spend processing film (or dealing with a lab); cutting, sleeving, filing, and storing negatives; numbering proofs; etc. I shot film for 35 years, so I know what's involved. The film workflow isn't better, it's just different. Once you get a good digital workflow established, it doesn't take all that much time. And you have worlds more control of the output.

<i>I fail to see your point. Photoshop RAW does all of this too IN REAL TIME!</i>

<p>

That is true. I'm just more used to working with C1, which IMO is very intuitive. Remember that C1 also does everything in real time, and while it takes C1 more time (than ACR for example) to convert RAW to full resolution TIFF file it converts it in the background letting me work on another image. That's one thing you can't do with ACR. Is it worth $500? Probalby not.

<p>

<i>In addition, C1 is very expensive and does only do raw converting. In contrast, PS, if learned well, provides a very good, integrated workflow, which does all you could possibly want. Highly recommended!</i>

<p>Agreed, but only because of the prohibitive price of C1.