Image Quality

bill_harris1

I have a Nikon D100. It makes very sharp images in most any mode

(JPEG normal and fine). Like everone else I am always seeking ways

to improve on this..I can afford a D2 model but, is the image

quality that much better..I am not really interested in how many

frames per second it shoots, that is not important for my purposes.

Iam only looking for improved image quality.

What is the limiting factor on your image quality - Camera, Lenses, Technique, Composition?

If it's your camera, the new D2X will certainly give you finer detail. However, a better camera will not make a difference unless you use the best lenses - good prime lenses or the top zooms. Neither will help unless your technique is good. For example, if you shoot landscapes the best thing you can do is buy a decent tripod. You could shoot in Raw mode to retain complete image information - JPEGs loose information in the translation process and every time you adjust the image. Even a technically perfect image will have poor "image quality" unless it is well composed. It's the subjective part of photography which is hardest to pin down and can make the biggest difference, and you don't need new gear to get it right. Practice, and pay close attention to the end result and everything you do. That's the best you can do. Hope this helps.

How big do you print your images? As you know 6mp makes a very nice image at 8X10 so if that's what you're doing the upgrade probably isn't worth it or noticable but if you want to go much bigger like 20X30 then the 12.4mp of a d2x is likely to make a difference, though we have virtually no hands on experience. I'm hoping to get mine Friday and I'll post images as soon as I can.