How to create a profile for the DSE 5400

<p>

Ok I'll try to make this short.

</p>

Things you need: <br>

-IT8 target for film type you are scanning. Check out www.targets.coloraid.de for good quality and price.<br>

-A program to create the profile. Monaco EZcolor, GretagMacbeth Profilemaker, there are some free ones as well but I found they didn't work as well. <br>

<br>

Making the profile:<br>

-Scan your target (IT8) with auto exposure OFF. <br>

-Make NO adjustment to exposure, color and so on. <br>

-If you use ICE you can scan the target with it. I find that using ICE creates a slight red cast, the profile should fix this. Best is to create 2 profiles 1 for scans with ICE and one for those scanned without. <br>

-Now just load the profile making software and follow instructions. <br>

<br>

Using the profile:<br>

-From now on when you scan any slide that you intend to use the profile with you must use the same settings you used to make the target scan (autoexposure off, no adjustments in scanning software)<br>

-After scanning your image open it in Photoshop.<br>

-Assign it the new profile.<br>

-Convert your profile to AdobeRGB.<br>

<br>

That's it.<br>

<br>

BTW- I'm assuming we are talking about slides and not negs.<br>

Gilles, I don't know that profiling through Vuescan is the best way to go, or smooth sailing. Step 1 is to get the targets and associated files, and then take it from there. I do intend to try it out with Vuescan first. And then...?

Here's something to read:

http://groups.google.ca/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=comp.periphs.scanners

And search the site for:

"Frustrated with Vuescan profiling"

FWIW, I've ordered the Wolf Faust "all you need" package, PLUS an A4 size target. The latter can be used to calibrate camera/film. You photograph it. Vuescan offers calibration for that as well.

Cheers.

thank you all,

I think it is clear now. I just need to order these IT8 targets.

Another question, How often do you calibrate your scanner ? For the screen we need to calibrate it every 15 -30 days depending on the use of the disply, but what about the scanner ? Is there a change in the light characteristic produced by the scanner along the time ?

Sorry for my approximate english ....

I profile my Minolta DSE5400 when a new driver version comes out. I did notice that I needed to profile it a few times when the scanner was new. I was told that electronics can "shift" a little in the first few months of use. Kind of like breaking it in. But after that it should steady off.

Remember it is important that you let the 5400 warm up for at least 20 minutes before you do your first scan to let the heat of the light source steady off. If not you may notice a magenta cast.

Good luck,

Patrick

thanks Patrick.

I did not know that the (red-magenta) color cast could come from the fact that the scanner has been used too early after switch-on.

I knew that I had to wait 10-20 minutes in order that the light source to be stabilized but I did not know that could lead to a red-magenta color cast .....

Ok, So I will calibrate my scanner as you mention after new software update or every month/2monthes.

Brgds

Well Gilles, my targets came from Wolf Faust. I decided to follow my usual workflow, scanning the targets through the Minolta Scan Utility, outputting 16bit linear. Then scan-from-disk this file with Vuescan.

Just follow the instructions in the Vuescan html on calibrating scanner. I place the it8 info file (text file) in the Vuescan directory, and renamed to scanner.it8. When you're done aligning the target and choose calibrate scanner in the Profile pulldown, the ICC file is written to DEFAULT DIRECTORY you have chosen in the output tab, not necessarily the Vuescan program directory.

You can rename it to whatever you like, and then you set it as Scanner Color Space, in the Color Tab.

Results? Very pleased! Much improved color balance. True to original slides, no suprise! Also, shadow and highlight details much improved.

:)

Oh and, when I opened the parcel, the first thing to fall out was a little package of some kind of German Jelly Bear candies! Nice guy!