Night Sort Photography

marc s

I posted a similar question on another forum. However, I'd like to throw it your way.

Has anyone shot a night-time sporting event with a wide angle lens and flash? If so, what did you do?

I just shot a night-time stock car race and had some decent results. (I was fortunate enough to be able to

be right on top of the action. In fact, I'm still cleaning the mud off my 20D.) However, in some locations, it

was pretty crummy. BTW, I used a 10-22 mm Canon 3.5 with a 580 flash. Yes, a wider aperture would be

nice, but....

I now know your not "suppose" to shoot at night with a wide/angle and depend on flash, but, I know there

has got to be some way of doing this by either being in the right location, etc. Then again, perhaps not.

Do I need to ditch the wide angle in such an event? I really hate to do that due to fact wide angle really

gives you a nice perspective.

Regards

Marc S

You also might want to use a higher standpoint. This will give you less obstructions and more depths in the foreground. Less is more and I would recommend not to place the white border wall in the image.

Regards, Jaap D.