Leica demise, Leica closing, Leica this, Leica that......

sandy.

As if anything anyone says here will have any impact on what will, or will not happen to

the Brand.

Speculative bashing of this sort is a waste of time even for a troll. Use the gear and make

photos. If something happens, so what? Will the camera you now have stop working as a

result?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

M8d is under development. It will have a swing open back, take a Nikon F3 motor drive, TTL AE, and will have a full frame 14 megapixel optional digital back as well as a data back good untill 2075. Data will be written between frames like the G2. A bulk back for 250 exp is also being considered. 35mm frame lines will have marks for a 40mm lens.

Let's hope it gets made!

Yes I just made it up but that's how rumors start.

Didn't you hear? I heard from a very reliable friend of a guy who knows one of the Leica factory Security Guards that Kyocera is going to buy Leica...this business of getting rid of Contax is just a feint to throw people off the scent.

At least that is what I heard.

The truth of the matter is that Leica is not winning over the next generation of pro photogs and hobbyists. We're all going digital. Since buying my Canon 300D, I haven't touched my M5. Digital is cheaper (in the long run) and more satisfying due to instant gratification. It's hard to beat that combination. In the meantime, the Leica cult is aging and growing smaller. Leica is not going to turn that around with more stupid commemoratives and special paint jobs. The 40 year old Leica M3 is really no different than the Leica MP, nor the M6. Who cares if its hammertone or black or chrome or safari green? They all do the same thing. Would you invest in a company that made only old style commemorative brass typwriters?

Dear Jim,

Cheaper, no.

More satisfying, no.

These are personal judgements. I use a digital camera only when I have to or when I don't need the kind of quality I can get with film.

You feel differently. Fine. But not everyone agrees with you. The analogy is not with a typewriter company but with Morgan cars, Gandolfi cameras, high-quality mechanical watches. Enough people believe in such things to keep the companies in business -- and if commemoratives and funny paint jobs are what it takes to tip the balance and keep Leica in business, more power to commmemoratives and funny paint jobs.

Cheers,

Roger

Rather than crying over an imaginary Leica demise, try to be more positive. Look at some posts in the <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00BRf3">Where to from here Leica</a> thread. While there, too, there is a lot of whining, there also some positive contributions.<br><br>

The DMR is here; in Germany there are already workshops; For details have a look at the <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00BSKd">DMR (Digital Module R) Workshops in North America</a> thread.