Hitachi 2GB Microdrive and Apple Computers

rcp

Warranty coverage applied to my first 1GB Hitachi/IBM md (microdrive) when it was

replaced after 11 months of infrequent use. The replacement 2GB (they were nice) drive

was DOA. The third md lasted one month before the dreaded "drive not initialized" red

warning flashed in the viewfinder. "Mack" at Hitachi advised me that they have "discovered

a basic incompatibility" between that drive and Apple computers, in that the Apple places

a "signature" on the drive when it is inserted into a reader. Now, I can download directly

from the camera but you know that that is not always practical. I am skeptical of Hitachi's

expanation although it might be true. Has anyone else had this experience and how have

you resolved the issue. I use this drive in a back-up Fuji S7000 and am beginning to

question whether this camera/md combination should be my "emergency chute."

I can only assume that a 'normal' 2gb CF card is out of the question for some reason and you must have a microdrive for some reason. If I was was you I would spend out on this instead....

<a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=356016&is=REG">click here</a> ....

probably more reliable than something containing moving parts.